Chapter Three: Party

 

~~~ The Plot ~~~

Bra sat at home, everything seemed to be falling apart. On one hand she had a moping brother who was too much like his father to admit that what he said was a lie, on the other hand she had a best friend who was now fighting with old feelings all over again. Neither was willing to admit anything to the other and so it was utter chaos.

She walked into the kitchen early in the morning, not being able to sleep, and to her amazement she found her mother rummaging in the fridge. "Mom, what are you doing up so late? And eating something this late?"

Bulma looked at her daughter, chuckling. "Well, when do you think I eat? Between you, your father, and all of our Saiya-jin house guests I never get a decent meal." She chuckled lightly and came over to her daughter. "What’s the matter, Bra?"

Bra rested her head on her hands. "Trunks and Pan are both upset and they're too stubborn to do anything about it."

She frowned but after a few moments Bulma perked up. "I have an idea!"

Bra looked at her. "What is it?"

Bulma got an almost evil look on her face. "We will have a little party." she smiled. "I will get Trunks off from work and make sure that he's visiting here, you get Pan to come over and then we will just force them to talk...one way or another."

Bra’s expression changed. "You can’t force those two to do anything. They are worse than two mules!"

She shook her head. "Bra, come on. It's worth a try."

Bra gave a grumpy sigh. "Alright, but if something goes wrong it’ll be your fault!" They both chuckled at each other and spent the rest of the night plotting the fate of the two arrogant Saiya-jins.

~~~ Unwanted Emotions ~~~

Pan happily packed up to see her friend Bra. Bra had told her that Trunks was back at work and that he wouldn't bother them, so they could spend as much time as they wanted just hanging out and eating popcorn. She finished packing and put her bag in a capsule so that she could fly over. She ran down the stairs, stopping quickly in the kitchen to give her mom and dad a kiss, and then went out the door and took off towards her awaiting friend.

Trunks sighed. He knew that something was going on and he didn’t like it. He had just had a week long vacation and already his mom was getting him out of work. It wasn’t like her at all, though her excuse was the fact that he had spent the last half of his break cooped up in his house away from her. Trunks reluctantly made his way over to his house for the visit, dreading any plans his mother and sister may have cooked up.

Pan arrived. She smiled and walked in, sitting on the couch and not really bothering with her bags yet. "So, Bra what is our lovely plan for tonight? Movies? Games? Shopping!"

Bra snickered. "I was thinking movies, some good old movies and popcorn. You don’t mind if mom joins us, do you? Dad is out for the night and I thought she might get a little bored."

Pan smiled. "Of course, Bulma can join us! She's always welcome to."

Just then the doorbell rang and Bulma walked over to answer it. "Trunks! Hey, glad you came." Bulma walked over, plopping down on the couch next to her daughter and Pan. "I hope you don’t mind but since your father wasn’t going to be here I invited my own company!"

Trunks finally knew what was going on. "Mom, I just came to say hello."

Bulma growled at him. "No, you are going to stay here. I barely get to see my baby boy anymore. You grew up so fast! I miss you."

Here she goes again, Trunk thought, on one of her guilt trips. He could never escape now. "Alright mom, alright. I’ll stay for-a-little-while."

Bulma smiled, "Good, now let's find a good movie!"

Bra got up to find a good romance movie, knowing Trunks would hate it and Pan would probably kill her. It seemed like a great movie idea for the moment. She smiled at her mom and she got the cue.

"Alright, who wants coke and popcorn?" Everyone agreed for it and she went into the kitchen. A few moments later she called out, "Bra, can you give me a hand please?"

She nodded and got up, leaving Trunks and Pan alone together.

"This was a set up." Pan said, rolling her eyes.

"You're telling me... I knew there was something fishy going on when mom gave me another day off of work."

Pan looked at Trunks and smiled. They both started to crack up laughing. "I swear, those women are worse than old ladies." Pan said jokingly.

Out of the kitchen Bra yelled, "I heard that! I’m not an old lady. Mom might be, but I’m not!" A thud was heard and a slight yelp. "But, Mom!" This sent Pan and Trunks into hysterical fits of laughter and, in an instant, they found themselves leaning against each other for support. Just then Bulma and Bra came back out sitting on the couch in order to purposely pin Pan and Trunks in the middle; Bulma on the outside next to Trunks and Bra on the outside next to Pan.

The movie started and Pan sat uncomfortably next to Trunks. She drew herself close, trying to seem as small as possible and trying to ignore the sound of her heart inside her head. She hated this feeling, it had returned and Bra was egging it on. Ooooh, she was going to get an ear full once Trunks left! The warmth of Trunks being so close got the better of her as time went on. Once they had started the second movie the room had gotten chilly all of a sudden; most likely the doing of the evil blue haired duo!

The second movie was a horror flick and a new seating arrangement was made. Bra and Bulma sat together; Bulma fearing nothing after her ventures with Vegeta and Goku but Bra was still jumpy. This gave Trunks and Pan more room but it was still an uncomfortable closeness. The scary part of the movie came up and Pan tried her best to not jump or act scared but she was so lost in thought that the sharp noise from the TV nerly sent her out of her skin and she clenched onto Trunks’ arm for dear life.

She really didn’t realize what she was doing until moments later. She looked up and saw that Trunks was looking down at her with a strange dazed look. She was nearly lost in his glance when the movie ended and Bulma got up. Pan quickly released Trunks’ arm before she could turn around.

"Alright, it's nearly midnight. Are you leaving tonight, Trunks?"

Trunks thought for a moment. "It's late. Maybe I'll stay."

Bra gave a happy look to Bulma although Bulma's expression wasn’t nearly as enthusiastic about this. She knew that kids would be kids but she had only wanted them to get back on good terms. She hoped that would be all that would end up happening, at least for tonight. She didn’t want an angry Gohan on her case; that was almost as bad as an angry Goku.

~~~ Two Hours Later ~~~

Pan lay awake in the guest bedroom, staring at the ceiling unable to sleep. Why couldn’t she get him out of her mind? She had once before. She had believed she was over him and her stupid childhood crush but she wasn’t. Now she was dreaming about him and every time she closed her eyes he was there. She sighed, deep in thought. She didn’t realize the door opening as he snuck into her room. She opened her eyes and screamed but it was quickly muffled by his soft yet strong hand. "I didn’t mean to startle you. I couldn’t sleep and I came to talk... if you want to, that is."

Pan’s heart seemed to jump at his soft voice and she nodded. He removed his hand and sat on the end of the bed, keeping a slight distance as she sat up. He was wearing a black muscle shirt and black boxers. She felt like drooling at how good he looked even after a long day but she snapped back into reality. "Alright, let's talk. What are you wanting to talk about?"

Trunks was absolutely clueless and had trouble finding words as he sat staring at her. The blanket fell around her waist as she sat up. He noticed that she had on one of his old t-shirts that his mom had let her borrow once during a a sleep over. "Well I...I don’t know. I just can’t sleep, and you were so intent on talking, so I thought that you wouldn’t mind if you weren't sleeping."

This was getting nowhere. Pan sighed, "Trunks, what's going on? I’m so confused. I buried all of my emotions for you back before I left for college, when you were dating that bimbo Brittany. You told me that what I was feeling was just a childish crush so I listened." she frowned "and now I come back and...and...!" she was frustrated and confused and just not sure what the hell she was doing. She whimpered and Trunks scooted closer to her. She rested her head against his shoulder he sighed.

He had always been there for her.... when a little punk human picked on her at school and she couldn’t do anything about it in fear she would hurt him to much, or when a boy would dumped her... she had always been like a little sister to him, and she his big brother, but things were different now and he didn’t know what to do about it! He softly ran his hand over her hair and cheek. "I’m sorry, Pan. I didn’t mean for this to happen. I didn’t mean to fall...-make things difficult for you." She was too confused to notice the slip up he almost made. "I just don’t know anymore. Everything’s different. I’m lost and confused, as well." he sighed as he began sobbing.

His slow rhythmic breathing had lulled her to sleep. He wanted to move but at the same time loved the warm feel of her face against his chest, the sweet smell of her being so close, the... Woah, man, get yourself together! She's too young. She's fourteen years younger than you. Her uncle is only a year younger then you, for crying out loud! He sighed softly, still trying not to wake her.

He slowly laid her down and was getting up to leave when she stirred. "No, please don’t go." She was only half asleep. He walked back over, sat next to her on the bed, and began softly stroking her head and face while lulling her back to sleep.

 

Chapter 4 | Go Back