Chapter 2: Hidden Powers

"TRUNKS!!!!" Vegeta roared as Trunks and Carrie walked up to the Capsule Corp.

"Crud, Dad's SUPPOSED to be in the gravity room training at this time of the day..." Trunks whispered with a grimace to Carrie.

"It's bad enough that you slack off on your training all the time, but do you have to waste all your time with that pathetic human girl?!?!" Vegeta growled as he came over. "I refuse to let you become a soft pushover by seeing her!"

"Hey, wait a minute! Trunks does train! I am not wasting his time and he is NOT a pushover!" Carrie said indignantly.

"What do you know of strength, weakling girl? Your fighting ability is so low that I can't even sense it!" Vegeta glared disdainfully at Carrie.

"Excuse me?!?!"

"Tousan!!!" Trunks objected.

"You heard me. Let's go Trunks, you're behind enough in your training." Vegeta started, haughtily walk off. After noticing that Trunks wasn't following, he casually called over his shoulder, "Do you want your allowance cut in half over some pathetic human?"

"Hold on a minute, how do you know I'm so weak when you've never seen me fight?" Carrie growled, trying unsuccessfully not to give Vegeta a piece of her mind.

"Are you challenging ME?" Vegeta laughed, "I could break you in half with the flick of a finger. You're not worth my time weakling." Vegeta turned to go, still laughing.

"That DOES IT!" In an explosion of ki, Carrie slammed Vegeta into the nearby hill and rushed over to Trunks to make sure that he was alright.

"What the?!?! How did that little brat do this to ME?!?!" Vegeta raged, shaking his head to clear it.

"How...?" Trunks stammered, looking dazed at Carrie, "How did you get all that energy???? Kuso, we better get out of here before Dad gets even madder!" Trunks grabbed Carrie's arm and ran off as fast as he could for the nearby forest.

"Hah, like he's faster than ME." Vegeta grumbled, getting to his feet. "Oh well, I'll let him run scared for now. I'll get him good when he comes home and I'll catch that little bitch when I see her next time."

"I think we got away." Carrie said with relief when she and Trunks saw Vegeta stalk off in the other direction.

"That was too easy," Trunks grumbled, "The only time I get off that easy is when 'tousan's waiting to get me later. But, anyway, how the heck did you get that much energy to nail him with???"

"Well... I honestly don't know. I just got really mad and then, the next thing I knew, he was picking himself out of the hillside..."

"Ever learned how to fly or shoot energy blasts?"

"Nani???"

"I take that as a no. Okay, do you want to learn to control your power so that you don't go around blowing up an entire city block when someone ticks you off?" Trunks asked with a smirk, "Although I know how much you'd like to do that."

"Ha ha, very funny. So, let me get this straight, you can fly and shoot energy at people too? This is considered a NORMAL thing???"

"Well, yeah, considering the kind of people I hang around."

"I don't think I like the sound of that..." Carrie groaned, "Oh well, show me what to do." she said, grimacing.

The next day after school, Trunks brought Carrie out to a big open meadow. "Okay, the first thing you're going to have to learn is how to fly." Trunks said matter of factly.

"Whoa, wait a minute, you're SERIOUS about this?!?! People don't fly unless they are in a plane or something!" Carrie sputtered. Her jaw dropped as she watched Trunks start to float upwards. "No WAY! How the..."

Trunks landed back on the ground next to her. "Ready for your first lesson?" Without waiting to hear Carrie's reply, he gently grabbed her around the waist and flew up about a hundred yards. Carrie looked down, gasped and tightened her grip on Trunks's arms. "Okay, here we go!" With that, he let go of Carrie.

She screamed and tried unsuccessfully to hang onto Trunks. "TRUNKS!!!!" Carrie screamed again as she plunged toward the ground. Just before she hit, Trunks caught her. She clung tightly to him and started ranting at him, "WHAT THE HELL DID YOU THINK YOU WERE DOING?!?!?! I could've become a little grease spot!!!! I HATE heights as it is, ESPECIALLY BEING DROPPED FROM THEM!!! Are you trying to kill me or something?!?!" After she finished yelling she struggled free from him and collapsed on the ground panting, heart racing.

"It's okay, take it easy!! I caught you didn't I? I wasn't going to kill---"

"IT SURE AS HECK LOOKED LIKE IT!!!"

"Well, how else do you expect to learn to fly?"

"I don't know! Concentrating really, really hard or something!!! Falling the length of a football field isn't exactly what I'd call my ideal way for learning to fly!!!"

"The idea is that you'll force yourself to fly to prevent yourself from falling. Concentrating while on the ground works sometimes but, when it DOES work, it takes about 70 years to master. This on the other hand, this way teaches you in a couple of hours max." Trunks said as if it was the most perfectly normal thing in the world to do.

"You can't be serious..."

"Absolutely. I had to go through it when I was little. Except Dad wouldn't always remember to catch me... I'm, at least, catching you! Come on, ready for the next round?"

"No, no, no, no... You don't understand. I have this SLIGHT phobia about jumping from or being DROPPED from 10 stories up in the air!! Sheesh!! I can barely jump off the 50 meter platform at the pool and you expect ME to be completely calm about this??? I DO want to live to see my 17th birthday, you know!"

"I don't expect you to be completely calm about it, no, but you DO want to learn don't you?" He tossed a clod of dirt at Carrie and leaped into the air when she tried to get back at him. Trunks grinned playfully as he danced around just out of Carrie's reach above her.

"ACCCKK! Fine! I give up, I'll do it! If only so you can't taunt me like that!" she relented. Trunks laughed and landed to pick up Carrie. Before he did, she socked him on the shoulder. "And that's for not warning me before dropping me last time."

The next 2 months passed fairly quickly. With the help of Goten, Trunks showed Carrie how to fly and fight. Pretty soon she was almost equal to Trunks when they sparred. Trunks found himself having to go Super Saiyan more and more often to finally beat her. Carrie was a quick learner and kept pulling out new attacks that surprised even Vegeta when he was watching them spar once in a while.

Without even realizing it, Carrie and Trunks grew closer and closer and could only blush when Bulma mentioned it one day. "Hey Trunks, I'm so happy that you've finally settled down and gotten a girlfriend! It's about time! Goten's lady-killer antics must have finally rubbed off on you!" His mom said enthusiastically.

"N-Nani???" Trunks said blinking. He looked over at Carrie who was having a similar reaction.

"Oh, you know... You and Carrie? Oh, there's no need to be so surprised, it's fairly obvious." Bulma said in a matter-of-fact tone of voice.

"I-It is?" Trunks stammered again. Both Carrie and Trunks's faces started turning crimson from blushing. Trunks couldn't keep from staring amazedly at his mother, while Carrie was just trying to figure out where to look besides at Trunks.

"Awww... That's so sweet! You two are just kawaii! Go on, you lovebirds, Goten was looking for you outside."

"H-Hai, 'kaasan..." Trunks got up and looked blank-faced for a second.

"The door is that way, silly." Bulma said, pointing to the door and trying not to laugh.

"R-Right." Trunks stammered as he and Carrie dashed off in the appropriate direction.

Vegeta walked into the kitchen then. "Oh, hi Vegeta! Taking a break in your training? Did your stomach pry you out of the gravity room?" Bulma teased gently.

"I thought I felt Trunks's ki in here. I need someone to spar with since your training robots are scrap metal once again and he's slacking off in his training. Any more questions woman?" Vegeta said gruffly.

"Oh, aren't we grumpy! Yeah, Trunks was here two seconds ago with Carrie. I sent them off to find Goten since Goten said he needed to talk to him." Bulma replied casually then, noticing Vegeta's scowl, "Oh, stop it. Why do you dislike Carrie so much? I think it's sweet. Trunks finally found a girlfriend. Besides, he IS training with her, so it's not like he never trains at all."

"She's a pathetic human girl and something about her just makes me pissed off. PLUS she's keeping Trunks from REAL training with someone stronger than him so he's getting soft and weak." With that, he stalked off to the gravity room while Bulma just shook her head.

"Pathetic human girl, huh? Well, my mighty prince, what do you think you're married to?" Bulma mumbled to herself thoughtfully.

A short, fish faced servant scuttled up to a creature sitting in front of a large screen displaying the planet Earth. "Master Chameo, the Abunai-jins have responded to your message requesting their service. Their leader awaits negotiations in cargo bay 3 by their ship." The fish servant bowed low as he spoke.

With a casual wave of a scaly blue hand with sucker tipped fingers, the creature called Chameo dismissed the servant. Chameo gazed at the image of Earth on the screen with pupiless orange eyes. Slowly, an evil looking smirk spread across his humanoid face. "Ah yes, the lovely Earth. So perfect and innocent in the night. Soon, very soon, you will belong to me..."

Chapter 3 | Go Back