Chapter 3: Deadly Menaces

"Ugh... I HATE going downtown! It's so crowded!" Carrie grumbled to Trunks as they walked down main street. "Tell me again why I got dragged into this..."

"Mom said she needed me to pick up some stuff for her from store and, since I hate coming down here too, I dragged you along because misery loves company." Trunks grinned evilly.

"You tricked me! If I had known it would be so busy down here I would have laughed and told you to have fun on your own! I hold you personally responsible for any permanent damage I cause to the people down here for being so damn SLOW!" She bantered back, cheerfully complaining.

"Aren't you done yet? I swear, you take the cake for biggest complainer!" Trunks mocked when Carrie paused to take a breath.

"Nope, of course not. I have to complain. It's my nature. Besides, it's my JOB to complain because it bugs you! If I didn't bug you, think how boring your life would be!" She replied smugly.

"It would be peaceful, that's what it would be." Trunks dodged as Carrie tried to swat his arm.

"Phooey!! You're no fun!" Carrie pretended to pout. "Hmm... all this hard work is making me hungry."

"What's hard work? Complaining?"

"You bet. Oh, and by the way, you're paying."

Trunks groaned ad they set off to find a place to eat. They finally stopped at a nearby deli and were about to order when Yajirobe walked in. Trunks grimaced upon seeing the fat, cowardly fighter and hurriedly dragged Carrie out of the deli before Yajirobe noticed them.

"Hey, what was that for??? I thought we were going to eat!" Carrie said indignantly.

"Didn't I tell you about Yajirobe??"

Carrie shook her head.

"He has the biggest appetite and is disgusting when he eats! People almost have to wear raincoats when he's eating! On top of that, he's the most annoying person I've ever met. He will talk your ear off in a second!!! Also, Yajirobe is well known for being a coward. If you want him to do anything remotely dangerous, you have to threaten him with his life or no food!" Trunks said exasperatedly, "Come on, there's gotta be another deli place around here somewhere."

Back inside the deli shop Yajirobe was busily gobbling down his pile of sandwiches while people nearby were making disgusted faces and trying to move as far away from him as the room would permit. Yajirobe was well into his third helping when two tall strange looking creatures walked in. All of the people still left in the deli screamed and ran out the door.

The creatures had jet black, slimy skin. Their eyes were blood red and the taller of the two had a long scar running across his left eye. Along their forearms and necks there were silver fin-type blades that glittered in the light. Crimson stripes covered their necks, arms, and tails. The aliens looked around with their snake-like heads and, seeing Yajirobe, started to close in on the table. Yajirobe continued eating, completely oblivious to the newcomers.

"Hey, you! Fat boy! Where can we find this planet's protectors?" The taller of the two aliens demanded. Yajirobe still didn't look up from his food. "Chubby! I'm talking to you!" The alien said and slashed the heaping plate of food in front of Yajirobe with his sharp, sickle-shaped tail blade.

Finally, Yajirobe noticed the aliens. He yelped and threw the salt shaker in his hand at them in surprise. The flying salt landed on the shorter alien's hand and sizzled through part of one of his fingers (like salt does to slugs.) The alien cried out in pain and quickly backed up. "Ha HA!!! Don't like salt do you?" Yajirobe cried out triumphantly and whipped out a LARGE salt shaker from behind his back. "HA HA HA HA HA!!!! Take this, you ugly slime balls! This'll teach you to destroy my lunch!" He screamed as he started chasing the aliens out the door with the salt shaker.

Trunks and Carrie were still trying to find someplace to eat when they heard Yajirobe screaming maniacally down the street behind them. They turned to see what was going on and saw Yajirobe chasing two tall, dangerous looking aliens down the street with a giant salt shaker. They both stood there blinking and sweat dropped.

"I thought you said this guy was a coward. He looks more like an idiot with a death wish right now..." Carrie said, still blinking.

"Once in a great while he gets a brave spurt." Trunks mumbled.

About halfway down the street, Yajirobe ran out of salt. He looked down at the now empty salt shaker in his hands and gulped. The aliens stopped running and turned, smirking evilly.

"Heh heh heh, um, sorry 'bout that guys, you know I was just playing with ya... Really, an honest mistake! Let's just forget about that and go on our merry little ways!" He stammered nervously, turning to run back the way he had come.

The aliens snarled and sent an energy blast at Yajirobe. After the smoke cleared, a blackened, smoking Yajirobe was still standing. He chuckled with an insane half smile on his face before passing out. The two aliens just laughed at Yajirobe's unconscious form on the ground.

Trunks growled as he walked over with a seething calmness. "Just who the hell are you two, and what's your deal with Yajirobe?" He asked in a dangerously smooth voice.

"Hmmm, maybe this one will be of more use Nataas." The shorter alien said, still smirking, to his companion.

"I think you may be right, Damon." The alien called Nataas replied, his blood red eyes gleaming, "Kid, where are the protectors of this planet?"

"What's it to you?" Carrie snapped beside Trunks.

"We're Abunai-jins, a race of professional assassinators, and we've been hired to take down the local resistance here to open this planet up for conquest. Now then, where are this planets protectors? And don't try lying, we already know some of their names. I believe they were Goku, Vegeta, and a couple of other Saiyan half-breed weaklings."

"Saiyan half-breed WEAKLINGS?!?" Trunks yelled, finally losing his temper at the insult.

"Ho ho! I think we hit a nerve there! Now, tell me, how would a simple earthling like you know about Saiyans? Unless.." Nataas reached behind Trunks faster than either Trunks or Carrie could see and grabbed Trunks's tail out from underneath his shirt, yanking hard.

Trunks tried not to show the pain he was suffering from having his sensitive tail handled that way. He fired off a ki blast into Nataas's stomach to force the Abunai-jin to release him. Nataas chuckled and shrugged off the blast as he watched Trunks jump back.

"Carrie, get out of here! Go get help!" Trunks called over his shoulder as he powered up.

"Oh, yeah right! Like I'm going to let you have all the fun!" She replied stubbornly, showing no intention of leaving.

"No! This isn't your fight!"

"Hello! I live on Earth, too! That makes it my fight!"

"Anyone capable of fighting should be able to defend his or her home." Before Carrie could say more, Trunks zipped over and gave her a quick, sharp blow to her head. "No fair..." Carrie sputtered as she sunk into the comfortable blackness.

"You're not strong enough for this fight yet." Trunks said softly to Carrie's unconscious form. He turned to face the Abunai-jins, "If you think that 'Saiyan HALF-BREEDS' are no big deal, you're about to realize your mistake."

Trunks flared into Super Saiyan and attacked the aliens head-on. After landing a couple of fast punches, Trunks flew off, taunting Nataas and Damon to take the fight away from where Carrie lay. Damon shot off a rapid fire of small energy beams to slow down Trunks's weaving acrobatics in the air. Most of them missed, screaming off into the nearby buildings. The blasts that did hit, Trunks batted off like flies. Very shortly, the area around the battle was a mass of crumbled ruins of buildings.

Trunks growled when he noticed that not all the people had managed to make it out alive. He berated himself for not getting the Abunai-jins into a place where no innocent people could get hurt. He would just have to make sure that they got wished back to life with the Dragonballs later. Right now he had to focus on more important things, like assuring he was even alive to make the wish in the first place. Rather than continue running and causing the Abunai-jins to destroy even more buildings, Trunks turned to face the two black, slimy skinned creatures.

Carrie woke suddenly, feeling the earth shake with an explosion from the not too distant battle. "Trunks no baka!" She yelled to no one, "Chikusho, how long have I been out? Looks like quite a while from what's happened to all the buildings. Normally it takes at least half an hour to cause THIS much damage in the sparring matches Trunks and I had during training sessions." Carrie swore under her breath and dusted herself off as she got to her feet. She then took off through the rubble to help in the fight.

Near the edge of the clearing in the ruins, Carrie slowed her pace and peeked around the corner of what was left of an office doorway and looked out at the battle scene ahead. The doorway fell in under the slight pressure, and Carrie screamed in surprise and disgust when half of a corpse fell on her shoulder.

Trunks spun around at hearing Carrie's scream, leaving his back exposed. Nataas laughed and jammed a fistful of energy straight through Trunks's back, leaving a gaping hole. Trunks coughed up blood twice then blacked out as Damon flew in and delivered a final blow to his head with an elbow. Nataas removed his fist and Trunks started to fall, slow at first, then faster and faster toward the crumbled cement.

"NOOOO!!! Trunks!!!!" Carrie screamed and ran to catch Trunks. "No, no, no, no..." She moaned cradling his head like a baby. She sat there, shocked and transfixed, unable to move with tears streaming down her face.

"Well, that takes care of him. Now all that's left is that weakling girl." Nataas chuckled to his friend.

"Yep, easy job now that the SSJ brat is finished. Aww, what's wrong girly? Did we just kill your boyfriend?" the Damon taunted, laughing evilly.

Carrie felt Trunks sigh, then suddenly go limp, and she screamed again.

Chapter 4 | Go Back