Chapter 24

Four months later.

She leaned back in the arm chair, getting comfortable before opening the letter.

"Dear Mom," she read. "How are things in the riaru world? It still sounds silly calling it that, I know. Just a habit. Things have been quiet around here since I last wrote you a long while ago. Everyone's gone. Everyone except ChiChi, Bulma, the kids, and myself. Gokou, Krillin, Goten, Tien, Chaozu, Yamucha, Gohan, and Piccolo all went to train out in the wilderness somewhere, so they said. They invited Vegeta along with them but he had finally agreed to go up in space and train to hit Super Saiya-jin. It's about time! I've been urging him to do that for the past seven years. I'm worried he'll hurt himself out there all alone. I have to keep reminding myself again and again that he is Vegeta, Prince of the Saiya-jin, and can take care of himself. I love him so much, Mom, more than he'll ever know, I suppose. And though he's only said it a few times, I know he loves me too.

"The kids are doing fine and growing up like little weeds. I've enclosed a picture but I don't know how it will turn out in the transition from anime to riaru. I wanted you to see the children and discussed with Shenlong the possibility of them crossing over to this world. He didn't see a problem with it. In fact, he said it should go easier for them than for the others since Trilku and Bapa are half riaru in a sense already. Anyways, we are going to visit the next time the Gateway opens. It would be nice if Vegeta could come as well since you never really were able to meet him.

"Shenlong also explained how he worked out the time lines between the two worlds. The ages of the kids will stay as they were: seven and three. I'm starting back to when I was seventeen. It is very strange having lived longer than my body has lived but after changing so many times, I've kinda gotten used to it. That also means I will be able to live a bit longer with Vegeta since Saiya-jin age much more slowly. I guess it bothers me that long after I'm old and grey, Vegeta will only be middle aged. Everyone else will continue as they were. Gohan, my anime brother, and Videl are engaged. They make such a sweet couple. But anyhow, the kids and I will be on the next 'train' to visit. Until then, Love, Ally."

She sighed, clutching the letter in her hand. Even after four months, it was still hard to believe her daughter had went through all this and was living in a whole other world.

The front doorbell rang, startling her, and she went to answer it.

* * *

"I thought Gokou and ChiChi were your mommy and daddy," Trilku inquired, staring up at me with his innocent eyes. Bapa stood beside her brother, clasping his hand tightly.

"They are," I said, crouching down in front of the pair. "But remember when I told you I came from a different place?"

He nodded.

"Well, I have parents over here too. So mommy has four parents just like you have four grandparents."

"Oh." He frowned. "Do we have to meet them?"

"Yes, Trilku. Now they are very excited about seeing you two and we're going to surprise them, ok?"

Bapa giggled, pointing in front of us. "Surprise!"

I straightened. Seeing my riaru mother's face fill with surprise, I grinned sheepishly. "Mail's a little slow," I told her, nodding at the letter in her fist. "Shenlong's working on that."

She gasped and squeezed me tightly in a hug.

"Mom!" I cried, struggling for breath and pulled her arms away. "Don't choke me to death!"

"I'm just so happy you're here," she beamed. She caught sight of the two small figures huddled behind me and grasping my pants leg.

"Are- are these-" she breathed.

"My children." I pushed the two forward, who were very reluctant. "Trilku, Bapa, this is your riaru grandmother." They stared up at her, unmoving. I gave my mom a weary look and she bent down to their level.

"How would you guys like to play Nintendo?" she asked them. "It's upstairs."

Instantly, Trilku's face brightened and he dashed inside the house.

"Trilku," I scowled lightly. "Take your sister with you."

He made a face but complied, dragging Bapa behind him.

"Manny," my mom called. "Show your nephew where the Nintendo is."

I heard a thud and pounding of footsteps as Manny flung open his bedroom door. "Nephew?" He glanced down at the wide-eyed boy and up at us.

"Alicia!" he cried, darting down the stairs to give me a big hug. "How are you? I didn't know you were coming to visit! Are you staying long?"

I laughed. "As long as I can, brother. You look well."

"As well as well can be. What's this I hear about a nephew? You brought your kids with you?"

"Yeah."

"Trilku's eager to play the Nintendo," my mom interjected. "Take him upstairs while we two talk, ok?"

"Sure." The kids followed him into his bedroom and soon the sounds of giggling and electronics drifted down to us. My mom led me into the living room.

"I'll go get your father," she said, excited. "Anything from the kitchen you want?"

"A Dr. Pepper would be great," I said, grinning. "It seems they just don't have that back home."

She vanished and a few minutes later returned with the drinks, my dad on her heels. I gave him a hug and the three of us sat on the living room couch.

"Your kids are adorable," my mom said. "It's a shame we don't get to see them more often. And you too."

I sighed. "I know. But the Gateway opens randomly, sometimes within minutes or hours and sometimes not for months. Shenlong doesn't have any control over them and he can only guess when the next one will be."

"This Shenlong," said my dad. "He's a dragon?"

"Yes. You saw him once, remember? That time when . . . " I paused for a moment, the memories painful, cleared my throat, and continued. "He's kinda horrific to look upon, isn't he? But he's a great friend. Without him, I never would have met anyone in anime."

"Do you ever wish things could be the way they were?" my mom asked. I caught the twinge of hope in her voice. I shook mt head. "I love my family, couldn't live without them. Vegeta's the best, even though it's not always evident."

"Yeah, but he just left you and the kids?" my dad asked angrily, having just read the letter.

"I made him go," I insisted. "He was supposed to have gone Super Saiya-jin a long time ago and hasn't so I told him to take some time off and go train out and space where he would be unlimited."

"For months?"

"He's been gone longer than that before. I learned long ago that you can't tie a Saiya-jin down without breaking their spirit. I'd never want to hurt him just as he's never laid a hand on me."

My mom frowned. "What about those times on that planet you went to?"

"I don't consider that to be my Vegeta. If you could meet him, you'd understand." I felt myself becoming frustrated and fell silent.

My mom patted my hand. "I'm sure he's sweet, honey."

Not exactly the word I'd use, I thought musingly and cheered a bit at the thought.

DING DONG!

"I'll get the door," my mom grinned, setting down her drink. "Why Tamara and David! What a surprise!" she exclaimed from the foyer. I rose to my feet, smiling as my friends entered the room and greeted me with hugs.

"It's so good to see you two again," I said and all of us sat down.

"I couldn't believe you had come to visit!" blurted Tamara. "After your mom called me, I rushed right over!"

"Yeah," David agree. "A visit from you is something special."

I smiled. "I feel special. Just a moment and I'll go get my kids and let you meet them."

Tamara's mouth fell open. "You brought them with you?"

"Of course. I wanted them to see where I came from. Trilku's seven and Bapa's three."

"Strange names," she muttered.

I laughed at that even though I knew she was being serious. Good ole Tamara. "We all have strange names: ChiChi, Briefs, Krillin . . . all strange." I snorted. "Piccolo's an instrument for Kami's sake and Vegeta's a pun on the word vegetable."

"Whatta 'bout Papa?" inquired Trilku, emerging with my mom and Bapa. With nervous glances at the others, they both climbed into my lap.

"I was just telling them about our names, sweetheart."

"Oh." He jutted a finger at himself and stuck out his chest. "I'm named after Grandpa and Krilly."

Bapa took her thumb from her mouth long enough to say, "So what?"

"So Krilly's the best."

"No. Piccolo is!"

"No Krilly!'

"Piccolo!'

"Krilly!"

"Piccolo!"

"Alright you two," I scowled. "None of that. Remember what your father said before he left on his trip."

They shut up quickly.

"What did he say?" my dad asked, wondering what words could enforce such obedience.

"Oh, something like- 'Don't give your mother any mouthing off of when I get back, you and I will excuse ourselves to the gravity room for some proper training- the hard way'."

"He said that?"

I smiled fondly. "Not quite as nicely. Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't let him train Bapa, not until she's older."

"I can go Super Saiya-jin!" Trilku announced proudly.

"Can not," Bapa argued. "You'd have to be stronger than Papa."

"Well," he pouted. "He said I was gonna be!"

"And you will," I assured him. "You will. You just have to master that flying first."

Bapa stuck her tongue out at her brother and he did it right back.

"So," sulked Trilku. "Mama can't fly and she's really powerful to."

The others stared at me, eyes wide and questioning.

I blushed. "Just a little bit. He's exaggerating. Besides, I could learn to fly if I really wanted to, but I don't. I've got Nimbus."

"Nimbus?" asked Tamara.

"Yeah. It's a-"

DING DONG! DING DONG! DING DONG! DING DONG!!

My mom frowned. "Who could that be?"

Immediately, Trilku shouted, "Krilly!" and scrambled off my lap. Bapa was close behind, giggling something that sounded like "Piccolo."

"I'll get it!" Manny shouted, bolting to the door. He came back in, face flushed, and a huge grin on his face. "It's- it's-" Unable to say it, he motioned behind him, stepping aside.

I cried out and rushed to them happily. Gokou caught me, swinging me around with a goofy grin on his face. Krillin slapped Trilku a high five while Bapa laughed as Piccolo tucked her snuggling under his arm. Someone tapped me on the shoulder.

"Gohan! Are all of you here?"

"Yep! All of us who could come."

"ChiChi told us you were here," said Gokou. "So-"

"So we'd thought we'd stop by," Krillin finished.

"Well, welcome! Welcome!" I waved a hand. "Come on in." I hurried ahead of them. "Everyone," I said to those left in the living room. "My family and friends from anime are here."

There were a few meager 'hellos' and 'how are you'. I realized I was the only thing that tied these two groups together. The air crackled with tension.

"You must be her riaru father," Gokou spoke up, offering his hand to my dad.

He nodded, accepting the gesture. "And you are . . . "

"Gokou," he said brightly. "ChiChi and me adopted Ally when she came."

"You're awfully young-looking," commented my mom.

"Gokou's a Saiya-jin," I said quickly. "Remember? They age much slower than humans do."

"Oh."

"Hey, Alicia," said Tamara. "Who's that cute guy?"

Gohan blushed, realizing she meant him.

"My anime brother," I replied. "Gohan's getting married soon."

"Oh, that's sweet." She whispered something to David behind her hand and snickered.

"These are my riaru friends," I said to the Dragon Ball Z people loudly and throwing a cold look at Tamara. And then I introduced the rest of them to my parents.

"Have you heard from Vegeta?" Gokou asked eagerly.

I smiled inwardly, knowing how hard Gokou was pulling for the other Saiya-jin. "No, I haven't. Not yet."

"Not a word?"

"Uh-uh. He has to be close to going Super Saiya-jin."

"Oh, I know he is."

Gohan was fidgeting on my left and finally burst out, "We have a surprise for you, sis."

"Gohan!" Krillin cried. "You weren't supposed to say anything until we got home."

"It's ok, Krillin," said Gokou. "The Eternal Dragon already told us he could grant the wish while she was in this world. It wouldn't matter."

"Yeah, but should've Vegeta be told first? I mean, I don't want him on my back."

Piccolo cleared his throat. "You can tell him now," he said calmly, speaking for the first time.

"Now?"

"He is at the front door."

I started, jumping to my feet. "He is? Why hasn't he rang the-"

DING DONG!

"I'll get it!" I yelled and sprinted to the front door, pausing just long enough to straighten my clothes and disheveled hair before flinging open the door.

Vegeta was leaning against the railing, arms folded over his chest. He looked up at me, a little startled that I was the one to answer the door, and uncrossed his arms, shoving his hands deep in the pockets of his jeans.

I shut the door softly behind me.

"You weren't at home," he stated.

"The kids and I came to visit my riaru family. They're inside, along with Gokou, Krillin, Gohan, and Piccolo. They said they have a surprise for me but they wanted to tell you first." I looked quizzically at him.

He seemed pleased for a moment, then shrugged. "I don't know what it is."

I caught that little flash across his face. He knew something. "You ok, Vegeta?"

Suddenly he smiled, a real, genuine smile. He strode up the stairs, put his hand on my lower back, pulled me against him, and kissed me passionately. I was shocked at first and then allowed myself to sink into this rare embrace. When we broke away for air, I stared into his eyes, searching. They glittered brightly with mirth.

"I have never felt better," he replied.

I lowered my gaze, resting my cheek on his muscular chest. "I missed you."

"I have been gone longer than before."

"I know," I sighed. "I guess I was just anxious. We'd better go inside." I put my hand in his. "You can meet my parents."

"Thrilled."

I grinned, playfully brushing up against him. "The kids aren't going to be home tonight. Trilku's staying at Bulma's and Bapa with ChiChi."

"We will have to make up for lost time," he murmured, his hand straying under my shirt.

"Not now," I gasped, pushing him away.

He growled, nipping the base of my throat, but allowed me to lead him inside. I heard cries of "Daddy!" and the thumping of little feet as our kids ran to us. I was surprised when he allowed them to climb into his arms. Vegeta had never been the ideal father and signs of affection were few and far between.

"Krilly's gonna teach me to fight!" Trilku squealed.

Vegeta raised an eyebrow. "Is he now?" he mused, catching Krillin's eye. The monk immediately looked away.

"Mom, Dad," I said, pulling Vegeta on into the room. "I would like you to meet Vegeta, my husband."

They welcomed him and Vegeta grunted in reply. He set the kids down despite their protests.

"Kakarrot," he grumbled. "Come outside. I want to talk to you."

"Aww, Vegeta," the other Saiya-jin pouted. "Let's visit for a while."

"No. Now, Kakarrot."

Gokou looked apologetically at me and followed the Prince outside.

"What was that all about?" Krillin whispered to me.

I shrugged. "I haven't the foggiest idea. Vegeta didn't say anything to me. He was acting really weird when I talked to him."

"Is he always like that?" asked my mom, frowning.

All four of us looked at each other, grinned, and answered in unison, "Worse!"

Chapter 25 | Go Back