Chapter 25

A few minute later, Gokou burst back into the room, a huge smile on his flushed face.

"Vegeta's got something to show us so we're gonna wait to give our surprise until we get home."

I stood. "What is it?"

He grabbed my hand, eyes lit up with excitement. "He's waiting outside. Everyone can come!"

"But where are we going?"

"Somewhere secluded. Come on!" He dragged me out on the porch, everyone close behind us.

Vegeta was nonchalantly leaning against a tree in the front yard and was trying hard to suppress a smile.

"What's going on, Vegeta?" I asked.

A sly grin broke free. "You will see."

Gokou was already up in the air, much to my parents and riaru friends' shock.

"Piccolo and I can carry the kids," Krillin told me.

I nodded and watched them and Gohan join Gokou in the sky.

"Is it ok for them to fly like that?" my mom asked me as the others piled into her car.

"Oh yeah. They'll be fine."

"Ok.. Ride with us?"

I hesitated. Vegeta stood nearby, waiting on me expectantly. I wanted to go with him, to feel his strong arms around me and the wind in my face. But I also didn't want to offend my riaru parents. Vegeta seemed to understand and crouched to take off.

"Go on with him," my dad called through his window. "We'll follow you in the car."

I grinned, nodding, and ran to Vegeta.

"Ready?" he inquired, wrapping his arms around me. I leaned into him, feeling the familiarity wash over me as I became comfortable.

I smiled up at him. "Let's go."

We took off into the sky in a flash of his blue ki. I laughed and squealed in delight at the twists and turns he led us through, always keeping the road beneath us so the others could follow. It was still hard to believe I was married to the crazy Saiya-jin prince. Before, when things were halfway normal, I would've rolled my eyes if anyone had even suggested such an insane idea. Then, Dragon Ball Z had only been a cartoon, an animated fantasy. But now...

Now it was more real than anything I'd ever known. I gasped when Vegeta nibbled on my earlobe, tightening his grip on me as we sped onward.

* * *

They peered out the car window, watching her fly with her husband. Alicia had always been different in mind, wandering in books and TV instead of going out with her friends. She had never done anything crazy, had stayed to herself, and they'd often find her sitting on the roof, gazing at the stars.

On one such night, her mom had discovered her on the roof, but the girl's expression had been so forlorn that instead of rebuking her, she crawled out to her side.

"What's wrong, Alicia?"

Her daughter sighed, not taking her eyes off the sky. "Do you think I'm destined for something great, Mom?"

"Of course, honey. You're a smart girl." "That's not what I meant," she said, shaking her head. "I want to make a difference, but how can I? I'm just one out of million of stars." She waved a hand above them.

"Anyone can make a difference," she told her, trying to find a way to assure the girl. "But sitting out here won't accomplish anything. If you want something, you have to go out and get it."

Her daughter wrenched her eyes off the sky and looked at her. "You're right. I know there's more out there, just waiting for me. I just have to find it." She turned back to the stars. "Or it has to find me."

And it did, her mom thought now, seeing her daughter fly in that man's arms.

Her dad, who was driving, followed her gaze. "She really loves him, doesn't she?" he said quietly after a while.

"She does. And I believe he loves her, in his own way, despite his past."

"Well, if I ever hear of him hurting her-"

"You won't," she interrupted. "From what she's told me, Vegeta's a man of honor."

"He is also a murderer."

"Was," Manny cut in. "He's changed. In the show, he was never as nice to his kids as he is with Trilku and Bapa."

"And she's happy," David spoke from the backseat. "Isn't that what matters? Just look at her. For once she is truly happy."

No one answered, knowing he was right.

* * *

We landed in a grassy field, large trees surrounding in a half circle. The others were waiting on us. Gokou had apparently told them what Vegeta's surprise was because they were grinning from ear to ear. My kids giggled behind their hands until Vegeta shot them a dangerous look. My curiosity grew. Those in the car pulled up behind us and got out as Vegeta walked a few yards away. I watched, silent, wondering what in the name of Kami he was hiding. David and Tamara came up to me and shrugged, indicating they didn't know what it was either.

Vegeta widened his stance, balling his hands into fists at his sides. His eyes were bright and he met my gaze. Then suddenly, as if someone had flipped a light switch inside him, he went Super Saiya-jin.

Even as he stood there before us, his hair so golden it put the sunshine to shame, I ran to him, half laughing, half crying from delirium.

"You did it!" I cried, throwing my arms around him, feeling that awesome power envelope me in a warm embrace and toppled to the ground on top of him, laughing at his indignant snort. I looked into his eyes, those strange turquoise eyes. "This is going to take some getting used to," I grinned, entwining my fingers in his golden hair.

He pulled me off him, trying to hide his pleasure, only to be shoved back in the grass by two giggling little bodies.

He grunted, sitting up abruptly so the kids tumbled to the ground, and immediately attacked them, tickling them unmercifully until they were begging him to stop between delighted gasps.

"Never provoke a Super Saiya-jin," he instructed, standing and releasing them.

"Especially not when he's just been defeated by his own mate," I said, smiling sweetly.

He growled at that, pulling me to him. "I demand a rematch."

"Oh, you'll get one." I leaned forward, whispering in his ear. "I promise." And then I moved away from him.

He let out his breath slowly and his hair and eyes turned black as he powered down. Everyone swarmed around him, congratulating and slapping him on the back.

"We'll have to spar soon, Vegeta," Gokou insisted, already eager for the new challenge.

Vegeta nodded, sneering. "I look forward to it, Kakarrot."

"I'll become Super Saiya-jin next!" Trilku pronounced gleefully.

"I see your son takes after his father greatly."

We all looked up at the sky while my parents and the others stared, mouths agape. I really couldn't blame them. The Eternal Dragon's monstrous form was large enough to startle anyone, but one gets used to being around strangeness.

'Good morrow, Shenlong!" I called up to him. "And how are you fairing?"

"I am well, friend," he rumbled pleasantly. "I have come to tell you to last Gateway is about to open. The last for about two years."

"Two years?" I echoed in disbelief. "Why so long?"

"After opening many times in the past day, the portal needs time to regenerate its energy. Kami sends his apologies."

"No need," I said, trying to smile. "So we have to leave now?"

Shenlong nodded his great head and vanished.

"Oh . . . " That was a long time to not see my family and friends here. As if on cue, the Gateway opened before us. I could almost taste the power my body had there and already my spirits were beginning to lift with thoughts of home. My mom came up to me. "Stay with us, honey. You and Vegeta and Trilku and Bapa, stay with us here."

I shook my head gently, prying her fingers from my shoulder. "Anime is my home. It always will be. My life is there, with all of them."

She smiled sadly. "I understand."

One by one, the others began to slip through the portal. Krillin paused in the edge questionably.

"Go ahead," I told him. "I'm coming." I gave a shrill whistle. "Nimbus!" Instantly the orange cloud zoomed trough the opening, staying near enough to it to be safe. I helped Trilku and Bapa climb on board. "Take them to ChiChi's," I instructed.

My dad stopped me. "Is it safe for them to ride that thing alone?"

"Nimbus's been a family friend for years. I've trusted it with my life more than once. Don't worry. Nimbus, take them on ahead." The kids waved as they disappeared in the Gateway. Only Vegeta and myself were left.

"Well," I said. "I guess this is goodbye for now. I'll come back as soon as I can." We exchanged hugs and I stepped back away from them. Vegeta wound his arms around me and we lifted into the sky. "I love you all! Goodbye!" And then all was blinding streaks of light rushing past the pair of us.

We didn't say anything to each other during the changing process. I stretched, glad to be back in my anime form. Strange how I had once felt the same about my old, riaru body.

We appeared on the edge of a high cliff. Below us spanned miles and miles of empty woods and fields. I could see Gokou's house to the left and the mountains that my house was hidden between to the right. I don't know why, but I knew that Shenlong, or Kami himself, had placed us here on this ledge too far above the ground for a reason. I was being shown what I had, what I had been blessed with, what I left the riaru world for.

Our height generated a great wind, ruffling my long, braided hair, and causing me to wrap my arms around myself. Vegeta was watching me silently and I stepped to the edge of the cliff, peering down at the now familiar world spread out before me.

"Do you ever regret your decision?"

I turned back to him, feeling a smile touch my lips. "Never." I strode over to him, standing slightly on tiptoe, and kissed him. He was surprised for a second and then placed a hand on my lower back to pull me closer. When we broke away, I rested against him, enveloped in his arms. I closed my eyes, relishing the warmth and inhaling the scent of the man I loved so much. I tilted my head to look up at him. His eyes held such passion that my legs wobbled and I leaned into him to keep from crumpling to the ground.

"Weak woman," he snorted, dark eyes gleaming.

"I can't help it. Not when you look at me like that."

"Like what?" he asked innocently and captured my mouth with his own again. I felt him go Super Saiya-jin with the greatest of ease, felt the increase of power and moaned as he used it in the embrace. Finally, when I thought I couldn't stand anymore, he powered down, having to support me until my breathing returned to normal.

"If I had known you were so weak," Vegeta snickered. "I would have chosen a different mate."

I faced him, putting my hands on my hips. "Oh really, Prince Vegeta? I may be weaker than you, but I still have more style when it comes to this! Catch me if you can!" I sprinted to the edge of the cliff. At the last second, I flung my arms out and pushed off into empty air. I stared in fascination as the ground rushed up at me. There was a flash and suddenly I was ascending again in Gokou's arms.

"Jumping off cliffs again, Ally?"

I grinned. "It's the only way to fly!"

"Well, in that case . . . " He dropped me and I was free falling again. I let a whoop and holler and Krillin appeared, zipping around me and laughing as I tried to grab onto him so he'd fall with me.

"Some day, Ally, you're gonna jump and no one will be there to catch you!"

I spread my arms out wide. "I'll always have someone to pick me up when I fall!"

"And if you don't?"

"Then I'll come back to haunt you!"

He shook his head and failed at stopping his grin. He dashed mockingly around me before shooting away. I watched him disappear and abruptly I began raising into the sky again. Gohan flashed me a brilliant smile and loosened his grip on my hand.

"You really need to learn how to fly, sis!"

I laughed as he let me go and landed on Piccolo's back seconds later, his white cape billowing out around me. He glanced over his shoulder, rolling his eyes a little. I grinned and leapt off his back, arms wide and legs together in a swan dive. Strong arms folded around me, holding me tightly against a hard, muscular body. Vegeta grazed my neck with his teeth and sent us into a roll throughout the sky.

This was life; I knew that now. It wasn't the fact that those close to me could fly or shoot energy beams from their hands. Or the fact I could do the later myself. Life wasn't super powers, or making wishes to get what you wanted, or living in a world where nothing seemed impossible. I had fought to get out of anime, fought to get back in, and divided my heart between the two before realizing anime was where I really belonged. And then it had taken me over ten years to finally understand what Shenlong had been trying to show me all this time.

Life wasn't the world; it was the people. That was what Shenlong had shown me. That was what I now understood. Love and life go hand in hand. You have to love another to live and life can only exist among those you love. Life was with Vegeta, a man so deep and confusing and proud and afraid of damaging his reputation that he boggled my mind. My sweet and lovable Saiya-jin Prince.

"What is so funny?" he growled.

I smiled even more. "Oh, nothing. I'm just happy, that's all." I ran my fingers up his arm and over the sinewy muscle, felt him tense in response. "There's a party at ChiChi's in your honor and they're going to call Shenlong for my surprise."

He raised an eyebrow. "They haven't told you what it is yet?"

"No."

I heard a deep rumble and realized he was laughing at me. "Nieve woman!" He nuzzled my cheek with his own.

"What? What is it, Vegeta?"

"What was the one thing you wanted?"

I frowned. "I have everything I could possibly want already."

"No, no. Don't try to fool me. You never said it aloud but I knew it bothered you that I would live much longer than you would."

My eyes grew big. "You mean- they're going to- Vegeta?"

He nodded.

Tears of joy ran down my cheeks. Everything was perfect now. The sun began to dip into the horizon, coloring the sky with red and orange and yellow.

"Why are you crying, woman?"

"I'm just happy, Vegeta. Very happy."

"Hmph. That makes two of us."

I smiled to myself. As we flew into the sunset, it seemed as if we were flying into our future. Gokou, Krillin, Gohan, and Piccolo joined us, vapor trails left behind in our wake. Then they dispersed and spread out and mixed with the sunset, our future.

Life indeed.

Go Back