Chapter 23

They were floating in a strange, white glow. Gradually, they began to wake, yawning and stretching out their stiff muscles.

"Where are we?" Gokou wondered aloud.

"I think we're in the portal again," said Krillin.

Gohan stared at his hands. "We're alive. And I'm back to normal."

"Is everyone here?" asked Gokou, swinging around to look at their confused faces.

"Ally is missing," stated Vegeta quietly.

"You saw her?" said Krillin.

Vegeta only nodded, turning away from the others.

"If we're in the Gateway," pondered Gokou. "Then Shenlong must be here as well. He can give us answers."

"Indeed," was the cool reply from the empty air around them. The others found that if they stared hard enough, they could catch a glimpse of the green scales of Shenlong.

"What is going on?" demanded Piccolo. "The last thing I remember was Frieza blowing a hole through my chest."

"Ah yes," said Shenlong. "The battle. It was won. Frieza is dead."

"Yeah. And so are we. At least . . . we were."

"You have your friend to thank."

"Who?" inquired Krillin. "Ally?"

"Yes. She made the extreme sacrifice for you. She gave her life for all five of yours."

"Is she ok?" Gohan asked, frowning.

"Where is she?" Gokou entreated.

"In her own world. We had to make a choice between being with you there or not being with you in anime. She chose the latter."

"But why?" Vegeta blurted, not being able to stay silent. "Why would she decide to leave us?"

"She promised," Gohan whimpered. "She promised she would never leave." He turned away, both angry and sullen.

"If she had chosen the other," Shenlong explained. "All of you would become fully of her world with no powers or special senses. So she gave up everything to save you."

Vegeta balled his hands into fists. "Send me back. I don't care about the consequences. I would rather perish, you ignorant lizard! Damn you! Send me back!"

"Yeah," Gokou agreed, floating to Vegeta's side and laying a hand on the Saiya-jin Prince's shoulder. "Ally means the world to us. We want her back."

"She doesn't deserve this," Krillin muttered. "Not after all she did for us."

Shenlong stared down at the determined group for a moment before speaking. "I had not realized she changed your hearts so much. Never have I seen such devotion among friends and never have I been so touched, especially by Saiya-jin." He paused. "Very well. I will grant you one last wish . . . "

* * *

I was crying silently now, the shock having died down. My parents and David were trying to console me, but with no reaction. I had explained everything to them. Everything. And still they didn't understand.

Suddenly there was an unnatural flash of light behind me. I froze; my breath caught in my throat. I was afraid to look, afraid of more heartbreak.

"Ally . . . " a voice called softly.

No, no. I had to be dreaming. I hadn't really heard his voice . . . had I? Everyone was staring over my shoulder, mouths agape. I slowly turned and my legs threatened to give way beneath me. He was standing only a few yards away, a hand stretched out hesitantly as if he wanted to touch me but was trying to retrain himself. Tears began to course through the dust on my cheeks again but this time they were tears of relief. I tried to say his name but no sound would come. Instead I walked to him, my feet barely touching the ground, almost in a daze, and stopping just before him. His dark eyes were filled with longing and in a great sigh, I sank into his arms. Feeling him strong and alive against me tore out a sob.

"Vegeta! But how-"

"The Eternal Dragon told us what you did," he said softly, holding me out at arm's length.

I looked away. "I didn't know what to do. I couldn't let you be unhappy."

"Unhappy?" he said, scowling. "How could I be unhappy?"

My voice cracked. "But- but you wouldn't be able to finally go Super Saiya-jin."

He raised my chin with a finger, forcing me to meet his tender eyes. "You think that is what's important to me? Silly woman, don't you ever leave me again."

I laughed giddily. "I promise. As long as you won't do the same."

"Never." His eyes twinkled as he bent and kissed me softly. We broke away, smiling at each other. "Come on," he said, taking my hand. "The others are waiting for you."

"But . . . Shenlong said-"

"Shenlong says many things," Vegeta grunted.

A deep chuckle came from the sky a moment before the Eternal Dragon appeared. Before him shone the Gateway and through that I could see the anime world.

"My final gift to you," said Shenlong. "Your friends are all alive. This has never been done before but you may travel between the two worlds as you wish, when the Gateway is open, you and the five warriors. I have changed the time difference so that a year is a year and a day is a day."

"I- I don't know what to say," I stammered.

"They say nothing," he rumbled. "I have given my gift. The Gateway will close soon and will not open again for at least two months."

"Thank you, Shenlong," I breathed.

He dipped his head and was gone.

"Let's go home," said Vegeta.

"Just one moment." I turned to my riaru parents.

"You can't really leave!" my mom cried.

"My family, my home is through that portal but I'll come back whenever I can. Don't you worry about me."

My father grumbled, glaring at Vegeta. "Does he treat you right?"

I smiled. "Yes." I gave them both hugs.

"Still hard to believe," David whistled, staring up at the Gateway. "Another world . . . Ah, well, visit often, ok?"

"Of course."

I stepped away from them and to Vegeta's side. He raised an inquiring eyebrow. I nodded and we both stepped into the Gateway.

Vegeta glanced over at me as we zoomed through the bright tunnel. "You are unusually quiet."

"Just thinking."

"About?"

I grinned, digging a finger playfully in his ribs even as our bodies were changing. "About how much I'm going to push you until you go Super Saiya-jin. I know you're close."

"That can wait," he growled, mischief dancing in his dark eyes as he caught my hand. "I have other plans for us."

A blush rose on my cheeks. Tonight would be interesting.

Chapter 24 | Go Back