Chapter 2

Gokou gently picked up the girl named Ally gently, folding her limp arms over her chest.

"I fear she's growing worse," he said gravely. "We must hurry to Guru's. Maybe he can do something for her."

"She's weird, Daddy," said Gohan

"I know, son. I don't think she's from around here."

Vegeta strode up to them. "Well, I am glad we've finally established that fact," he hmphed.

Krillin gritted his teeth. "You stay away from her!"

"I could take you out in an instant, baldy." Vegeta clenched his hand into a fist as if to prove it.

"Let's do it then!"

"No, Krillin," Gokou cut in. "Our first priority is to get Ally to Guru."

Vegeta snickered. "You're not worth my time anyway."

"Gokou's right," said Krillin, letting out his breath slowly to calm himself. "Ally won't last much longer without help."

Gokou jumped into the air and took off, Gohan and Krillin close on his heels. Vegeta muttered under his breath and flew after them.

* * *

I awoke cold and hungry. A violent wind rushed past my ears. It was strange how the wind felt. It was like the whole experience was magnified and sharper but then it was also as if the wind never touched me.

I shivered and tried to hide my frozen hands in the folds of some cloth. Finally, my hands found warmth.

"Hey-"

I opened my eyes. Two muscular arms surrounded me and my hands were curled against a hard, toned chest. That was the warmth I had found.

My cheeks were burning. "I'm sorry."

Gokou grinned lopsidedly. "Don't mention it. Go ahead. I have plenty of warmth to spare."

I'm sure you do, I mused and shyly stuck my hands back inside his shirt. Still hungry, but a little more comfortable, I looked out from my protective cocoon.

I stared at the ground miles below us, struck with awe and eyes wide. Swallowing hard, I tore my gaze from the sickening height to that of Krillin flying a little ways ahead of us. I remembered how cute I had always thought the short monk and he was. I turned my head and Gohan smiled at me from his dad's other side. I returned it and shifted to look behind Gokou. There he was. I figured Vegeta would hang back, never wanting to admit he was fighting on the same side as Gokou.

I moved back around and settled into Gokou's arms. My cheek rested on his chest and soon I was warm again. Sleep wouldn't take me away so I gazed at Gokou. He was so close; it gave me the opportunity to study him. He looked like a cartoon and yet wasn't at the same time. Hoping he wouldn't mind, I trailed my fingertips along his ribs and abdomen.

A cartoon and yet not a cartoon…

He watched me curiously. "Are you always this forward?"

"I'm sorry." I blushed again. "I just- well . . . "

He laughed softly. "I was kidding."

"Right." I didn't know what to say. I guess he sensed my discomfort because he said nothing more and refocused his attention to where we were heading: Guru's home.

Guru was a gigantic Namekian, I remembered. His hand would be bigger than a normal person's head and his height surpassed the Namekian average three times. To put it mildly, he was a big guy.

I wondered if Dense might be with Guru. Krillin and Gohan should have found the Namekian child by now. That other Namekian would be there also. Probably. He was Guru's protector, in a way. What was his name? I struggled to remember but his name had escaped me.

It could be a long journey to Guru. Pressing up against Gokou to drive out the cold, I fiddled with the folds of his outfit. King Kai himself had given Gokou these clothes. The Kame symbol was on the front and I knew King Kai's symbol was on the back.

I traced the Kame symbol with my fingers, then stopped. A hard lump formed in my throat as I held my shaking hands in front of me. They didn't look . . . normal.

"Gokou," I said in a small voice. "Could we take a break?"

He seemed reluctant. "Well, ok. I guess we could all use one."

He halted in midair and the others did the same with questioning looks. "Ally thought it would be a good idea if we stopped for a while."

Vegeta growled but Gohan and Krillin were eager for the break.

I told Gokou to set me down beside one of the many large ponds on this planet Namek. I was too afraid to look at my reflection; so afraid of what I might see.

* * *

"I wonder what's bothering her," pondered Krillin as Gokou and he watched Ally while she sat by the water.

"I don't know," said Gokou. "Maybe we'll ask her but I think we had better leave her alone for now." He called his son over to him. "Gohan, you and Krillin see if you can find any food. A full stomach will lift all our spirits."

"What about you, Dad?"

"I'm gonna look around and see if Frieza has moved. We don't want him sneaking up behind us."

"And Ally?" asked Krillin. "I don't feel good about leaving her alone with Vegeta."

"Yeah. But we have no choice. Besides, I don't think he'll hurt her."

Krillin muttered something about not trusting that evil Saiya-jin and flew into the sky with Gohan. Gokou took one last look at Ally and Vegeta, who was leaning against a rock cliff, before taking off in the other direction.

* * *

I had sat there frozen, unable to move myself. Finally, I held my breath and leaned over the edge of the water.

Chapter 3 | Go Back