Chapter 3

A scream sliced through the air. Vegeta clapped his hands over his sensitive ears. When it stopped as suddenly as it began, he moaned, rubbing his ears gently. The ringing faded and he swore to himself.

That damn girl.

Grinding his teeth, he marched toward her.

* * *

I couldn't stop shaking. I was a cartoon! My own eyes had been replaced with huge green ones; the shape of my face had changed too and I reached to grab the thick braid that fell nearly to my knees. Even my clothes were different: odd loose-fitting pants, slippers for shoes, and a dark green shirt with small wooden clasps rather than buttons.

What had happened to me? I- I wasn't even me! Looking in the glassy water, I touched my face in disbelief. Somehow when I had crashed in the Dragon Ball Z world, I had become just another anime character. What kind of nightmare had I been dropped into?

I shoved away from the edge, not caring about the throbbing in my ankle, and slammed into someone. I looked down at the white booted foot beside me and immediately scrambled to my good leg. Vegeta glared at me, arms crossed, his black hair sticking up like it always did. I tried to look past him.

"W- where's Gokou and the others?"

"Gone," he snickered.

"Oh." I was here alone with the Prince of the Saiya-jin?

I had forever marveled at how his size never effected his power. Or his intimidating presence, for that matter. Now that I was standing, I saw for sure that he was barely taller than me even though his hair did make him appear taller. His shoulders were certainly broader and ripples of sinewy muscle peeked through his broken armor and torn knees and elbows. Those powerful arms could break my ribs in one crushing blow and I had seen him run faster than wind with his well-toned legs pumping like two wild machines.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" he demanded, snatching me from my thoughts.

"I- I've just never seen you in . . . person."

I hated how helpless he made me feel; how helpless I knew I was and he knew I was.

"You know my name." Not a question. An elegant eyebrow raised. "You are afraid of me." Again, not a question.

Of course I was afraid of him. I was terrified of him! Vegeta was doing to me what he did best . . . scaring the hell out of people.

"Who are you?"

Trapped! Trapped! "I told you . . . Ally."

"Not your name," he snapped, impatient.

I instinctively took a step back. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

His black eyes narrowed dangerously. "I am tired of not getting any answers. Your bodyguards are not here to protect you. You could save yourself a lot of pain, you know."

Despite my fear of him, I laughed weakly. A fine mess I had gotten myself into. I had been here for less than half a day and already I'd made an enemy.

A deadly enemy.

"Tell me who you are!" he shouted, glowering and moving toward me.

I panicked and without thinking, swung my fist at him. He caught it easily in his gloved hand.

"That was a mistake," he growled and began squeezing my hand.

I tried vainly to pry his fingers open but he was too strong. Giving way, I fell to my knees. He suddenly twisted my arm, flipping me onto my stomach and pinning me to the ground with his knee. I coughed, dust clamming my nose and mouth.

Vegeta leaned over and spoke in my ear. "I know you are a spy sent from Frieza."

"A spy?" I choked. "I'm not- ahhh!- not a spy! I'm just a girl!"

"Do not lie to me," he spat and cuffed me across the face. "I could kill you by barely lifting a finger."

In my terror, I felt anger boil deep in my heart. "So why don't you, Vegeta, Prince of the Saiya-jin?"

"What was that?"

"You heard me. Go ahead and prove to yourself that you are stronger than a teenage human girl! Killing me won't make you greater in anyone's eyes but your own. There was some honor in others that you killed like Kewie or Dodoria or Zarbon but the death of me will only stain your prideful list, Vegeta!"

Suddenly, his weight was gone and I turned over, grimacing from the pain. Gokou and the others stood behind him; I had never seen Gokou that angry before.

Vegeta, arms recrossed, walked calmly toward me and I stumbled to my feet. He passed within inches, stopped with his back to me and the others. I didn't have to turn my head to hear the words said in a low voice. "This is not over yet. I will find out who you really are." Then he continued away.

Blackness invaded my vision. Standing up to Vegeta had taken all my strength and I welcomed the emptiness into my heart.

* * *

The group continued at top speed to Guru's after Ally had again lost consciousness. No one had asked Vegeta what words had been exchanged between the Saiya-jin warrior and the young girl. The trickle of blood on the corner of Ally's mouth explained enough.

Krillin had immediately attacked Vegeta in a rage but the Saiya-jin just laughed at him. Gokou was silent though his friends could sense his anger. He had picked up Ally in the middle of their fighting and taken off without a word.

Krillin and Gohan followed, leaving Vegeta behind to contemplate whether or not he should join them. A few minutes later, the others sensed him just before they were five once again.

They had now been flying for several hours nonstop. Ally had not awakened, not a stir or flicker of her long eyelashes.

"That Vegeta has gone one step too far," Krillin said, gritting his teeth.

Gokou did not answer but looked down at the still form in his arms. Something had been puzzling him ever since Ally's arrival but he never could pinpoint that unease.

"Krillin, Gohan," he said suddenly.

"What is it, Gokou?"

"Dad?"

"Tell me if you can sense her."

Gohan shook his head.

"I haven't been able to at all," said Krillin. "I just figured she had no power level."

"We should feel something from her even if she has a power reading of zero." He concentrated then sighed. "Nothing. I can see her and touch her but there is no indication that she really exists."

"Dad," said Gohan. "Is she-is she ok?"

"She's had a rough time since she got here, son . . . "

Krillin took her arm and flipped it over, feeling along her wrist. His eyes grew large. "Gokou! I- I can't feel her pulse!"

Gokou slowed. He raised her so he could lay his ear on her chest. "She's not breathing!" he shouted, and zoomed to the ground.

"What do we do?" Krillin cried.

"I don't know! Don't panic, ok? Let's not panic. That won't help any. We can- ah, errr. I don't know!"

Gohan had tears in his eyes. "We don't have time to get her to Guru's!"

Krillin bit his fingers and Gokou shook the girl as if to wake her from the breathless slumber.

"There is something I could do."

They jerked their heads up and saw Vegeta standing over them.

Krillin jumped to his feet and balled his hands into fists. "This is your fault!"

Vegeta ignored him and knelt beside Ally whose lips had turned blue. "Her heart's natural electric pulse has stopped. I can mimic something like it but the blast itself might kill her. Stand back."

They obeyed quickly, even Krillin held his tongue. They were shocked, really, that Vegeta had volunteered to help.

Vegeta, in one swift movement, ripped open the front of her shirt, exposing her chest. Then his hands began to flicker as he powered up. The others had seen Vegeta's lightning technique before and they knew just how powerful it was.

"He's gonna kill her!" cried Krillin, but Gokou held him back.

"Fool," Vegeta snarled. "This is the only way." The lightning began to crackle between his palms and at the last moment before the energy became too strong, he threw it down upon the girl. The bolt entered her chest, searing flesh, and casting her body into convulsions. But nothing happened. There was no sign of life. He waited before hitting her another time. Again, nothing.

"Come on, damn you," Vegeta hissed so the others wouldn't overhear and threw a third lightning bolt into her chest.

She coughed, spitting up blood before taking a desperate gulp of air. She was still unconscious but alive. A cheer ran up from the others as Vegeta stepped back.

"You saved her," congratulated Gokou, placing his hand on the other Saiya-jin's shoulder.

But Vegeta shrugged off the friendly gesture. "I still have questions I want answered. And I need her alive for that."

Gokou nodded solemnly. He took off the blue undershirt he wore and tore it into shreds, wrapping them around Ally's nakedness and new wounds. She moaned as he again gathered her into his arms and carefully leapt into the sky with the others.

* * *

Their speed was twice as fast now; blue, white, and red glows outlined their forms as they raced toward Guru's home. No one said anything about the hasty pace to Gokou. They didn't have to. The urgent look on his face was enough.

It wasn't long before they reached Guru. Nail, the Namekian who resembled Piccolo, was standing outside. He had sensed them long before they came into view. He kept his eyes on Vegeta; he knew who the Saiya-jin was. They landed atop the cliff on which Guru's house sat.

Gokou stepped forward, introducing himself. Nail had not met Gokou before even though he and Gohan and Krillin were already acquainted.

"Who is the girl?" Nail asked, inclining his head toward the deathly still form in Gokou's arms.

"Her name is Ally," answered Gokou. "We don't know much else about her but she's bad hurt and we can't take her with us when we go up against Frieza. Could you take care of her for us?"

"If you think she is of no danger . . . "

Gokou opened his mouth to speak but Vegeta cut him off. "I hope you realize that Frieza now knows where your precious Eldest Namekian is."

Nail was taken aback. "How could he possibly know that?"

"It is quite obvious, don't you think? That girl is a spy sent from Frieza. She probably has a homing beacon somewhere on her that is sending out a signal to Frieza right at this very moment."

"Vegeta has no proof of that," Gokou said quietly.

Vegeta shrugged. "I warned you."

Gokou looked down at Ally. "Please, Nail. I don't know what else we can do for her."

Nail sighed. "Give her to me."

Chapter 4 | Go Back