Chapter 14

Trying to be quiet, I snuck out the front door, closing it softly. Nimbus was already waiting for me and I climbed aboard.

"Hold on a minute, young lady," ordered ChiChi.

Drats. Caught.

She came clambering down the steps. "Just where to do you think you're going?"

"School."

"Don't give me that. School doesn't start for another three hours. You're going to find that Vegeta, aren't you?"

"Come on, Mom," I joked. "Me trying to find him?"

She put her hands on her hips. "Don't you try to fool me, Ally. I know what you're up to."

"Mom, listen. I won't be late for school. I promise."

"No way," she argued, shaking her head. "Saiya-jin are nothing but trouble."

"You married one."

"Which means I understand them. But Gokou's not like Vegeta. I just don't want to see you get hurt."

I softened. "Don't worry about me, Mom. I need to talk to him, that's all."

She looked hard at me and I gave her my best puppy face. She sighed, giving in. "Have fun, dear."

I grinned, giving her a hug. "Thanks, Mom." And Nimbus flew off.

I went to the spot where Krillin and I had seen Vegeta yesterday. I didn't know what had gotten into me then. I should have said something. Well, I wasn't chickening out this time and especially now that Bulma was out of the way. I expected to see him doing situps or practicing his ki blasts. He wasn't there.

I frowned. Maybe it was too early. I'll go find him at Capsule Corporation. I turned to head back the other way and yelped.

"Vegeta!"

The Saiya-jin regarded me coldly. "You were expecting someone else?"

"I- no. You just startled me, that's all."

He floated effortlessly to the ledge and began to stretch, preparing for today's training. He looked up at me. "Still there?"

"Vegeta," I said, hurt. "You can't just shrug me off."

He didn't answer, walking over to a metal bar wedged between two rocks far above the ledge. He leapt up, grabbing onto the bar and hanging by his arms. Then he lifted himself up, raising his chin above the bar, slowly lowering, and repeating the exercise. Not giving up, I followed him.

"Vegeta, can't we just talk?"

No answer though his pace quickened. Up, down, up, down.

Ok, fine, you want to play this game?

Nimbus carried me in front of the Saiya-jin so he'd be forced to look at me. He quickly shut his eyes. It was hard to ignore how cute he looked and how harmless . . .

"Vegeta-"

"Go away," he growled, not even phasing.

"Vegeta, please . . . " I knew how pathetic I sounded but I also knew how I felt inside. "Don't- don't shut me out."

He stopped; his eyes flew open. I recoiled from the dark anger I saw there. He let go of the bar, using his powers to keep him at eye level with me, and grasped me on both shoulders. I cried out as he jerked me off Nimbus roughly, my feet dangling over the ledge too far below.

"Leave," he snarled and shoved me away. I fell back onto the orange cloud, rubbing my bruised arms.

Vegeta turned away, landing on the ledge. I got to my feet slowly, confused and hurt. He wanted me to leave him alone to his training, let him live with all that bottled emotion. I knew if I left now, then anything that might have formed between us . . . any mere strand of friendship would be broken, shattered. I couldn't do that. It was crazy, but after every rejection he threw at me, I wanted to be with him more.

So I clenched my jaw, stepped onto the ledge behind him, and said darkly, "No."

He spun around. "What?" he spat.

"I won't be brushed aside, Vegeta. Whether you want to hear this or not, I came back because I wanted to live my life with you. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I read between the lines too much. Maybe I'm only fooling myself that you'd ever care about anyone except yourself."

He snorted.

"Don't you think I know who you are?" I said desperately. "You are Vegeta, mighty Prince of the Saiya-jin, but you're here on Earth where no one cares about your title. You feel lost on this backwater planet and angry because all your dreams have been stolen away by someone who still haunts your nightmares."

He stared at me, shocked. "How- how did you know that?"

"I've seen how you torture yourself with this endless training, Vegeta. I'm not blind. You probably haven't gotten any sleep since you arrived here. And your jealously of Gokou isn't helping at all."

He crossed his arms. "You know nothing of what you talk about."

"I know you want to beat him and you feel you should've became Super Saiya-jin first . . . and that you have yet to become one yourself."

"Shut up!" he barked. "You don't know me. You don't know what it is like not to be able to get something just within your reach."

"What do you think I did every single day while I was in my old world? I would watch all of you on TV and wish with all my heart to be among you."

"So now you're here. You got what you wanted."

I laughed bitterly. "Really think so? There is one thing that keeps me from being happy."

"And what is that?"

"Haven't you figured it out yet? Most people would have given up after such abuse but we haven't something in common, Vegeta. We're both as stubborn as hell. A few cold shoulders and bruises aren't going to drive me away. I've had worse, remember?"

"You were careless on Namek and almost got yourself killed. But I don't know what you're talking about."

"I think you do," I said, taking a step toward him. "Don't shut me out of your life, Vegeta. Let me be a part of it. I know . . . " I choked, not able to hold it in anymore. "I know you must care for me somehow . . . after everything with Piccolo and after the party . . . " I couldn't go on any longer and covered my face with my hands.

"Stop that!"

I stared at him through my tears, feeling lost and hopeless. "You know, you are right. I'm sorry for wasting part of your training time, Prince Vegeta. I'll be leaving now."

Nimbus, always there, swooped underneath me immediately and bore me away. I didn't look back, didn't need to.

* * *

Curse that girl to the ends of the Universe! First she and that bald guy barged into the only place he could be alone. Then she had the nerve to come back again, insult him, and throw a raging fit! After all of that, she apologized to him and ran off! Ever since she had blew a chunk out of detestable Namek with her arrival, she had been nothing less than a nagging presence, a- a damn pain in the ass that distracted him from what he went to that low-class planet to start with!

It was true, he had saved her life more than once, without any thought why he was doing such a thing. Nor why he had brought her back to her friends. She had some kind of hold on him; his thoughts had been filled with her since they first met. And now she begged him not to push her away? No one had ever shown him any kindness. On Vegeta-sei, kindness did not exist. He grew up not feeling any of those weak and pointless emotions that the humans here poured out so freely and foolishly. At first it had been easy to ignore Ally's tears and the pain always present in her voice. But now . . .

He pounded his first into the side of the rock face, shards flying in all directions. One hit his foot, bouncing away harmlessly and he watched it roll off the edge and thud to the ground below. The glare of something laying on a rock caught his eye. He walked over to it and blinked in surprise.

"You know, you are right."

He picked up the bottle, the one he had given her, then looked in the direction Ally had disappeared.

Curse you, he thought. Now I'll have to return it.

* * *

School in the anime world was pretty much the same as in the riaru world. There were mean students and nice ones but in the four months I had attended 12th grade there, I had yet to make any friends. Of the Dragon Ball Z group, Gohan was the closest to my age and his classroom was located all the way on the other end of the campus. I suppose I missed my old friends, someone to talk to during school and sit with at lunch and giggle with about some cute guy. It was sad to think how they didn't remember me . . .

No regrets, Ally, I reminded my self. But still- I couldn't help thinking about how they were doing, if they were all right, if I had ever affected them. I felt like I was trapped between two worlds, not really belonging to either. Strangely, all I loved was in anime but also was the one thing that tore at my heart the most.

The final bell rang loudly and kids poured out to the streets. First day of school for most of them was finally over. Of course, those of us in high school had already started way before.

I waited for Gohan by the sidewalk. We always went home together from wherever we'd been, walking until we were out of sight and then jumping on Nimbus. ChiChi hated for Gohan to ride the cloud, saying it was too dangerous, but she ignored the fact that the boy could fly well enough on his own. Anyway, traveling by air was much faster.

Gohan came galloping toward me, giggling with delight. "Vegeta's gonna spar with me tomorrow!"

"Vegeta? When did you talk to him?"

"Just now. There he is!"

I looked up. Vegeta was striding this way, having to dodge screaming kids. He grabbed one of them by the back of his shirt, growled at him to watch where he was going, and set him down not too gently.

I crossed my arms as he approached. "ChiChi's not going to be happy with you."

He shrugged. "A Saiya-jin needs to be trained by a Saiya-jin."

"Gokou can train him."

"Kakarrot forgot how to be a true Saiya-jin." He raised an eyebrow. "I thought you knew everything about us."

"I never claimed that." I could feel my temper rising. I was not going to get into it with him again. I couldn't take another verbal battle. So I let my breath out slowly. "You'll have to ask his mother if you can spar with Gohan."

Vegeta folded his arms over his chest. "I didn't come here to talk about the little half-breed brat."

"Listen, Vegeta," I said wearily. "I'm tired of trying to figure out how you think and feel. I just can't do it anymore. Anyway, I have to take Gohan home."

"Send him on that pet cloud of yours."

"I can ride Nimbus alone," piped Gohan, tugging on my hand. "I've done it before."

"But Mom-"

"I won't let her see me, I promise!"

I sighed. "Alright. Go ahead. Nimbus will be waiting at the usual spot."

He ran off, excited, and we stood there awhile, watching as parents picked up their kids. The last stragglers wandered away until we were almost alone.

Vegeta broke the silence. "Let's go somewhere else."

"Gohan took Nimbus and I can't fly, remember?"

"But I can."

I stared at him, his flickering eyes challenging. He knew I wouldn't say no.

"Ok. But no funny business."

He flashed a sneer of triumph and stepped up behind me without warning much like I had once on Namek.

"What . . . are you doing?" I asked, barely able to breathe. He was so close . . .

"This way is easier for me," he replied simply. "I don't have to worry about you falling off."

"I just slipped," I muttered, remembering the fall. I snapped back to reality when he wrapped his arms around me. I looked down at the rippling muscles, strong hands clasped over my stomach. His breath caressed the back of my neck and I realized that his heart was beating rapidly. This was worse than before; now the entire length of his body was compacted with mine as he held me tight against him.

"Uh, Vegeta . . . "

"You're not afraid, are you?" His deep voice rumbled in my ear.

"Of course not."<[> You are too! You are too!

I am not! He's only a man . . .

And you're only a hopeless girl.

Right, well, don't be so tense. Enjoy the moment.

"Ready?" Without waiting for a reply, he leapt into the air, that familiar blue glow covering us.

I suddenly cursed the Prince for being so handsome. And for capturing my heart unlike anything else I'd ever known. This seemed right to me, being with him.

Oh, Kami, what's happening to me?

We flew on for a while until I couldn't hold my tongue any longer.

"Vegeta?"

I could feel his eyes studying me.

"You don't have to say anything, Vegeta. But I want you to know that I . . . I think of you as a friend. I know you're unhappy here and I'm sorry for acting like I did and making it worse for you."

There was an awful silence, then, "In all my years, I have never met someone who ate at me as much as you do," he grumbled. He was silent before speaking again, his voice heavy. "Can a lost Saiya-jin and a lost human truly learn to be friends?" He chuckled suddenly. "Many more rides like this one and we may become more than friends."

I blushed furiously but at that moment it was as if a barrier had been torn down, broken, and two addled souls began to reach hesitantly out to each other.

Chapter 15 | Go Back