Chapter 15

Three months later.

Vegeta was standing on his hands on a tiny platform raised in the air. His face was scrunched in concentration, sweat droplets dripping off the end of his nose. I snuck up underneath him, knowing he couldn't ever sense me, then suddenly popped to his eye level mere feet away.

"Morning, sweet cakes."

He cried out in surprise, toppling over backwards and off the platform. I tried to hide my giggles as he caught himself.

"Damn it, woman! How many times have I told you not to do that?"

"Only about a million. Come on, Vegeta. I was the same way back in the real world. Just because I changed bodies doesn't mean I changed."

"Hmph."

Now that he was right side up, I noticed that his face was unusually pale, the shadows under his eyes darker.

"Vegeta, what's the matter?"

"Nothing." He frowned, looking back at me. "Don't you have school or something to go to?"

"It's a weekend. And I'm not leaving until you tell me."

He ground his teeth. "Did I mention you are the most stubborn wrench I have ever met?"

"Only a million times," I replied, grinning. "By the way, you're the only person I've ever let call me 'woman'."

"I'm honored."

I ignored his sarcastic tone. "So, really, what's wrong?"

He looked like he was about to say something sardonic but he seemed to change his mind. "I have yet to go Super Saiya-jin." He searched my face for my reaction, then added. "I never may."

I wanted to comfort him somehow, to reassure him, let him know I had faith that he would one day catch his dream.

"You will," I said instead, absent-mindedly fingering my necklace. Vegeta had given it back to me months ago, much to my relief.

I decided to change the subject. "Any plans for today?"

He gestured around him. "Same as always."

"Oh." I sighed, disappointed. "Well, I guess I'm gone."

"Leaving so soon?" he inquired, raising that adorable eyebrow, if such a word could be used to describe Vegeta.

I smiled. "I have no wish to see you all sweaty, Prince."

He snorted. "Be gone then." He dropped down to his hands, beginning the strenuous routine. I watched him for a little bit, ambling slowly away. That Vegeta. Why must he always torture himself like this? I shook my head. It would do him some good to listen to me for once.

"AHH! DAMN!"

I spun back around, saw him stagger, clutching at his side.

"Vegeta!"

I rushed to him. He didn't resist as I helped him sit down, kneeling in front of him and examining along his ribs. He stopped my hand.

"I'm fine now," he insisted, slowly catching his breath. "Only a sprain."

Anger boiled within me once I realized he was all right. "Vegeta, how many times have I told you not to push yourself so hard?"

"A million."

"This isn't a joke, Vegeta! I'm serious."

"So am I." He still held my hand in his firm grip, not letting go when I tried to move back. I looked up; all laughter had left his face. He placed his other gloved hand on my lower back, pulling me closer. His unreadable black eyes held mine.

"Vegeta . . . " His name came out more as a frightened whimper.

"Ally," he whispered. "Let me . . . " He bent his head, covering my mouth with his own. I was surprised at how gentle the kiss was, his lips warm and soft. How did a Saiya-jin know how to do this? Something stirred inside me, a longing. I felt myself reacting, moving my lips with his. Only when he deepened the kiss, becoming more passionate, did I break away.

He let me go without a word though I saw the question filling his eyes. I turned away, heard him rise and move to stand behind me. He placed his hands on my shoulders, making me face him. I couldn't meet his steady gaze.

"Why are you crying?"

"Vegeta . . . you can't imagine how much I've wanted . . . waited . . . but-"

He raised my chin with a finger and silenced me with another kiss. This time I let my arms wrap around his small waist but again when he pressed into me hungrily, I stopped him.

Tears ran down my cheeks. "I- I have to go," I said almost inaudibly.

"Ally-" He took a few steps toward me, but I held out my hands.

"Please, Vegeta." I bit my quivering lip. "I must go."

Before he could say anything, Nimbus swooped down and I quickly fled.

* * *

No one was home, gone to Bulma's for something-or-other. I shut myself in my room and let the tears flow openly, giving way to the sobs. I felt horrible for having treated Vegeta the way I did. He didn't deserve that but I hadn't known what else to do. There was no way I could explain to him why I was so afraid, no way to make him understand the fear inside me. More scarey had been the intense passion Vegeta poured into the embraces. I hadn't known he felt that way, that he could feel that way about anyone, that he felt that way toward me. I burst into tears again, burying my face in my pillow. How was I supposed to face him after this?

There was a light rap on my window. I jerked my head up and watched as Vegeta raised the unlocked window and ducked inside the room. I stared up at his perfect silhouette and, feeling the tears well up, rolled on my side with my back to him, covering my face.

He was silent for such a long time that I thought at first he had left. But then I heard him pad over to the bedside and sit on the edge, it groaning and bending only slightly because of the Saiya-jin's surprisingly light weight.

Finally I couldn't stand it any longer and sobbed, "Oh, Vegeta, I'm so sorry for what happened earlier to day . . . I didn't know what else to do. Are you . . . " I paused, afraid. "Are you mad at me?"

He didn't answer. To my shock, he lay down beside me, pulling me into his arms, and holding me against him. He snuggled his chin on the back of my neck and whispered in my ear, "I want you, Ally . . . "

Oh, Kami. "Vegeta, I- I can't. You don't know-"

"Then tell me," he murmured, nibbling on my earlobe.

"But . . . but I-"

"We have all night." he replied and I felt his dark eyes fixed on me.

I sighed. "I've never told anyone this." I let the tears come again. "Back . . . on the riaru Earth, where I used to live, I never was- never was intimate with a man." I hesitated and he waited patiently for me to continue. "There- there was one, my age, who I met at a party. We dated for many months until deciding to finally become serious. At first, I was ok with it but then- then he wanted to go further and I got scared. I'm only seventeen, Vegeta! And I was even younger then. We ended up breaking the relationship off soon after because I couldn't take the pressure anymore. Now . . . I can't help leaning away from another . . . On Namek, before I left, I knew that I was attracted to you and I ran away from it thinking I would only get hurt again. But home made me realize that it would eat away at me unless I knew . . . so I came back. I had to know if you were different. Actually seeing you again . . . Oh, Kami, Vegeta! When I'm around you, I don't know what to feel. I had no idea that you felt like this . . . I'm so afraid of what's involved and earlier today when you kissed me-" I choked, unable to go on.

"You thought I would force myself on you?" he growled.

I flinched and nodded, fearing his reaction.

Gently he rolled me onto my back, lowering my hands from my face. He took off his left glove with his other hand and wiped a tear that spilled down one cheek with his soft thumb. Then tender action only brought more tears.

"You do things to me, woman, that have never happened to me before." He stopped, seemed to struggle for the right words, then gazed directly into my eyes. "But know this . . . I will never force you to do anything." He cupped my chin and lowered his mouth in the gentlest kiss I had ever received. It was he who finally broke away slowly, raising my hand and kissing the fingertips.

"Vegeta?"

"Mmm?"

"I- I believe you. Would . . . would you stay with me until I fall asleep?"

"If that is what you want."

"It is."

He opened his arms and I settled down between then, sighing contentedly. I closed my eyes, listening to the sound of him breathing evenly and the steady thump of his heartbeat and realized just how much I was beginning to love this crazy Saiya-jin Prince. I felt so secure wrapped in his warm cocoon and slept better that night than I had yet.

Chapter 16 | Go Back