This is dedicated to To-chan, who slyly tricked me into promising I'd finish this.

Chapter 11

I walked in no particular direction, until Vegeta finally stopped following me. I found his open protectiveness sweet in a strange "you're mine and no one else's" kind of way, and even though he was more protectiveness now because of Trunks, he really had always been like that. But now was not the time for his unavoidable mate instincts. I had to talk to Trunks alone, no matter how much I dreaded it.

What was I supposed to say to him? To Mirai Trunks? After everything I'd done . . . after everything I'd done to him. Messed up his future. Messed up any sort of friendship I might have formed.

I toed off my shoes and buried my toes in the soft grass with every footfall. I remembered how my riaru mother had never let me go barefoot and how much it had meant to me when Trunks offered to share the experience.

Once I was sure Vegeta was gone, I whistled for Nimbus and climbed onto the orange cloud. My strange friend took to the skies.

Finding Trunks turned out to be easier than I expected. He was sitting beside Longshore Lake, one knee tucked up and clasped by tanned hands. A band-aid covered a cheek and his blue eyes stared across the still waters reflecting the twilight, limb-broken sky.

I stepped off Nimbus, letting my bare feet crunch against some rocks so I wouldn't startle him since he couldn't sense me coming. He gave no indication he'd even heard me. Kami, what must he be thinking? I wondered if I was doing the right thing.

I walked gingerly to his side and cleared my throat. "Thought I might find you here," I said quietly, not wanting to bring the silence crashing down around us.

He didn't move or say anything for a long time. I felt stupid, foolish, sticking my nose where it didn't belong and wanting to leave because of it. Then I heard his almost inaudible reply.

"This was the only place I could go . . . that had good memories."

"Yes," was all I could say. Silence fell over us again. "But some of it shouldn't have happened."

His eyes fell away from the lake but still he didn't look at me. "I never had someone who understood what being lost meant until I met you, Ally. But . . . you should have told me . . ." His throat seemed to close up and he couldn't speak.

"I know. I know!" I said empathetically, as if trying to make myself believe it too. "But I was so scared, Trunks. Scared that all I fought for would be snatched away from me again. My fear hurt you . . . I never wanted that." And I didn't. Oh, I didn't!

Trunks raised his head and looked at me through lavender locks. His bright eyes were doing that shimmering thing and I wanted to close my own green eyes so I wouldn't have to see the agonizing complexity of emotion flickering there. He glanced down.

"Where are your shoes?"

I shrugged. "I decided to feel the grass beneath my feet again."

He gave a brief nod and gazed back out at the calming lake. Was that it? Was that all that would be exchanged between us? He would leave and I would return to Vegeta and that would that.

"The Androids," he murmured before I had a chance to say anything. "When you said that you had seen them, I flew to the town to track them down. I was prepared to fight them, to stop them at any cost." He paused and bit his thumb, hunching up his shoulders slightly. "I saw them, Ally, I saw them. Some little girl knocked on their door, selling cookies, and it opened, and I saw the two nightmares that had haunted me for so long. It would have been so easy to give in to my anger, my rage, my hatred, and challenge them right then. But . . . but they bought a box of cookies from that little girl and . . . I saw them smile at each other. I let them go. I hadn't believed you when you said they were different. But I've seen it now for myself. Somehow . . . things changed."

"I should have known," I said and clenched my hands into fists, frustrated. "I should have realized that the timelines had shifted. Back in riaru, I knew that it happened. I should have known," I ended lamely, shoving my fists into jean pockets. I scowled down at the ground.

"I understand what you mean," Trunks said quietly after a moment. "I knew traveling to the past would have consequences." His brow crinkled as he frowned. "I never should have come."

"Don't say that!" I admonished, snapping my head up. Turning on my heel, I stalked around the clearing, waving a hand. "You had every right to come here - to see your old friends, to see Gokou, to see your father!"

The lavender-haired youth sucked in a sharp breath, nostrils flaring with anger. "That man is not my father," he bit out.

"Yes, he is," I argued. "And no matter how much he'd like to deny it, Vegeta realizes this." Trunks snorted and looked away. "I've lived with Vegeta for over six years," I said, softer. "And known him even longer. "I doubt he'd ever admit it, but I'll bet he's proud that you're his son and a Super Saiyajin."

Trunks was silent, blue eyes staring at nothing. I thought perhaps I'd said something wrong, gone to far, presumed too much.

"My mother," he said. "Wished every night that there was a world somewhere without the terror of the Androids." He took a breath, let it out slowly. "And I've found it. But . . . but I'd say she never thought it would be without me too."

"Trunks . . ." I searched for something to say. "There's Torank. He's half you in a sense. So are Bapa and Trilku. They're all three a part of you- I can see your goodness in all of them." I spread my hands and took a few steps closer. "Look, Trunks, I'm sorry for what I did so long ago but I can't change it. Even if I could . . . I don't think I- I would want to."

Trunks sighed, a weighted sound. "I don't expect you to." He stood suddenly, stepping gracefully from the water's edge. "I'm going to see my 'kaasan, even if in this universe, she isn't."

"Trunks-" I choked.

"And say goodbye to her," he finished. He startled me by wrapping me up in a fleeting but firm hug, touching my face with his palm as we parted. He gave a small smile, a shadow really. It was a forgiving smile though, one that would be forever burned into my memory. And then he turned away and disappeared in a dazzle of white ki light.

Ally, will you remember me?

W-why are you asking such a thing, Trunks?

I need to know . . . will you remember me?

Of course I will, silly. Forever and always.

"Goodbye, Mirai Trunks," I whispered, a breeze clasping my words and spreading them out.

I never saw him again.

***

Oh purple haze shining...

bright against the night.

You cast your shadow upon us

a shadow bringing light.

Oh purple haze, dear heart,

I understand after so many tears shimmered...

You asked not to be love, or cursed, or acknowledged, or born...

but only to be remembered...

and you will be, dear Trunks...

you will be...

***

I wandered around for the longest time, not really knowing where I was going, and not really caring. Somehow I ended up back on that high cliff. Somehow the earth sprang away from me and I was falling, falling, falling with my arms thrown wide open, embracing the expansion of air.

Vegeta caught me before the ground got too close, enveloping me tightly against him. I could almost feel Dende smiling down on me, and Kami too, wherever he was. And somewhere, everywhere, I could almost hear the Eternal Dragon's deep chuckle. After all, he was the reason I was here. And Vegeta . . . well, Vegeta was the reason I stayed.

I shifted a little so I could peer into his face. His dark eyes were focused ahead; Vegeta rarely liked to dwell in the past. But . . . I wanted to know the answer to just one question . . . something that had been sitting in the back of my mind.

How did Vegeta really feel about Trunks?

All Trunks ever wanted out of the father he never knew was to be accepted as both an able warrior and son. I know that Vegeta sees him as his son, I thought, having an internal debate. But does Vegeta realize that he realizes this? Or does he still consider him a threat? Maybe if I ask him now . . I can find out how he feels. But will he actually tell me? Or will he just do that cold, roll-eye thing and cross his arms?

Come to think of it, he looks awfully cute when he does that . . .

I smiled to myself.

Suddenly Vegeta turned his head and gave me the most peculiar stare. I stared back at him. "What?" When he didn't answer, I said again, "What?"

His chest puffed out slightly as he gave something between a sigh and an exasperated snort. "Woman, I swear every telepath within a thousand miles would be able to hear your thoughts."

Oops.

"And so you will stop broadcasting them so loudly," he continued roughly. "The boy and I talked before he left. I told him any son of mine had better not slack up on his training after he defeats those metal things."

I gave him a mock expression of shock. "You didn't!"

The glare I received could have melted fire.

I made sure I screamed really loud when Vegeta dropped me, just so that damned Prince could smirk at me later for it.

And I smiled as he caught me within seconds. I knew he always would.

***

"Hey, Mama!"

"Yes, Trilku?"

"Papa told me that you come from a place called . . . called . . . kangaroo or something."

Quiet laughter. "Riaru."

"Yeah, that! He said he thought you were weird when he first saw you."

"Did he now?"

"Yup! Mama, what happened on Namek when you met Papa? He won't say and I wanna know."

"Do you really?"

Fierce nod.

"Alright then, son, go get Bapa and I'll tell the both of you."

"Thanks, Mama! She'll wanna hear it to. Oh, and Mama?"

"Yes, son?"

"Do you still love Papa?"

No hesitation. "Yes, son, I love him very much."

"Good! 'Cause he told me that he loved you too. Oops! Wasn't supposed to tell you!" Burst of giggles. "Sis! Sister! Mama's gonna tell us a story! Hurry up! Jeez, she's so slow."

"Trilku . . ."

"Yes, Mama?"

"You have strange parents."

"I know, Mama. It's okay. Strange is good."

***

My name is Ally sie Vegeta. Once upon a time, in the beginning, or however else you'd like to put it, everything was normal. Average. Sane.

I had a normal life. Drove a normal car. Went to a normal school with normal friends. Lived in a normal house with a normal four-person family. Everything was fine and dandy. Until . . .

So what's 'normal,' anyway? The surroundings? A way a person acts? 'Normal' is just a descriptive word meaning---. A word people use to make themselves feel protected.

I was 'normal' until I woke up one day in a world that used to be make-believe. I was 'normal' until I realized that I wasn't 'normal' anymore.

I made this anime world the way I wanted it to be. Not because I had the power. Not because I meant to from the beginning. And not because I didn't want it to be the way it should have been. I changed it because I wanted my own piece of Dragon Ball Z, and didn't realize what I was doing until too late.

I've said I'm sorry and I can't say or do anything to make up for it. I've been forgiven and now it's up to you to decide for yourselves how you feel about it. Frankly, I don't care. But it is for Mirai Trunks's sake that I ask . . . no, I beg of you . . . please, whatever you do, wherever you go, remember him and help me correct my mistakes. I have already made so many.

For me, now, normal means super powers and hungry Saiyajin stomachs and depending on an orange cloud for transportation. Normal means knowing gods and aliens and the strongest fighters in the galaxy. Normal means, well, it means the complete opposite of what it used to be.

Thank Kami for that.

That's the story I just told you.

And, unbelievably, that's the story of my life.

***********

The End.

Yes, this is The End of "Purple Haze Appearing." You could very well stop here with the story, but fortunately, I have a short epilogue and five side stories to put up as well.

Next Chapter | Go Back