Chapter 1

"Here it is, Ally," ChiChi said, holding up a slab of hamburger meat. Or trying to. The chunk was half as long as the mother of two was and nearly as wide.

I laughed and put down the magazine I had been flipping through to help her load the meat into her cart. The open air market bustled, as always, with people doing last minute shopping before the week began.

"I thought the butcher forgot to leave it out for us today," I told her and picked up two large sacks of potatoes.

"He's never forgotten before, dear," ChiChi said and gave me a nudge with her elbow. "We're lucky the market gives discounts to regular customers."

"You mean discounts to us." I shook my head. "Our two families alone must eat six cows a week by themselves and more if we let them. But talking about luck, how's Dad doing anyway?"

ChiChi shrugged. "You know him. He's all healed and ready to fight again even after a week with no senzu."

"Well, I'll have to be sure to thank him tonight." I dropped my voice down to a whisper. "Mom, I don't know what we would've done if Dad hadn't dropped out of the last Tenkai-ichi Budoukai so Vegeta could win."

"My Gokou always did have a big heart," ChiChi said. She smiled a little as we waited in line to check out.

I nodded and grinned. "Just as long as Vegeta never finds out Dad let Piccolo go all out on him so he'd have to drop out. I'd never hear the end of it."

"Don't worry, dear. Our lips are sealed."

ChiChi handed the cashier the money and we pushed the two loaded carts to her aircar.

"Thanks for inviting us over for dinner tomorrow night, Mom."

ChiChi waved a dismissal hand. "Will Vegeta be coming?"

"Uh, uh. He took off again this morning."

"I think it's in Saiya-jin blood," she stated and patted my shoulder. "I was lucky to get Gokou to stay home tonight. He's just itching to spar with your husband."

I laughed. "Vegeta has been too but he won't let himself until he's toned his Super Saiya-jin form."

"Saiya-jin men," ChiChi mused, shaking her head.

Overhead, distant thunder flashed and threatened rain.

"Come on," ChiChi insisted. "Let's hurry back and unload this stuff so you can get home before this storm hits."

I agreed and we headed toward the mountains.

* * *

I stumbled through the front door, yawning violently. Sleep called out to me and I blinked a few times to stay awake long enough to make it into bed.

A noise from the kitchen caught my ears and sent a jolt through my spine. Vegeta was gone training. The kids were at ChiChi's. The house should be empty.

Should be.

More noises were made and my heart leapt into my throat. A burglar. It had to be a burglar.

Oh Kami, help me.

Slowly, my eyes on the kitchen entryway to the right, I picked up an umbrella by the front door and raised it high. I edged toward the kitchen but it was too dark to really see. I could hear someone nearby so I took a deep breath and swung the umbrella.

A hand shot out from the shadows, stopping the umbrella's decent. Fear shot through me as well as fierce pain. The hand was strong and there was nothing I could do.

"Who-- who are you?" I choked out.

There was a growl from my opponent and my hand was released. The umbrella clunked to the floor at my feet in the loud silence. I cradled my bruised wrist against my chest.

"Vegeta?" I asked, unsure.

"Who else would it be?" was the angry reply.

Relief washed over me and with my uninjured hand I reached over and flipped on the light. The refrigerator door was wide open and several cabinet drawers lay on the floor.

Vegeta stood nearby, eyes in slits and a frown on his face. "What's wrong with you, woman?"

"Wrong with me? I wasn't expecting you back for at least a few days! I thought someone had broken into the house."

He snorted and went back to the fridge. I started to pursue him further but sighed and searched for the first aide kit. Rummaging through the white box, I found some gauze and tape and gingerly wrapped my wrist in it.

There was a blur and the swosh of air suddenly shoved aside. I looked up. Vegeta stood at my side and before I knew it, he grabbed my hand. Tears sprang to my eyes at the movement but I held them easily back.

"What are you doing?" he growled, inspecting the gauze. Before I could answer, his dark eyes grew large. "I did this to you!"

"Vegeta-"

"Dammit, woman! Why didn't you say anything?"

"Vegeta-"

"Kami knows how frail you humans are!"

"Vegeta-"

"Is it broken?"

"Vegeta!" I shouted. "Will you listen to me? My wrist is fine. I'm only wrapping it because touching it hurts. Now will you let go before you do break it?"

He dropped my hand instantly. "You should have said so at the beginning."

I uttered a frustrated noise, slammed the refrigerator door shut, and stalked out of the room.

Upstairs was quiet and still. The kids, Trilku and Bapa, were spending the night over at ChiChi's place. The house seemed empty without their happy-go-lucky faces. I made my way to our bedroom, located in front of the stairs.

That hot-headed Vegeta. I'm not as weak as he thinks I am.

I sighed and formed a small ki ball on my palm, looking at it musingly until I let it fade away. I knew he hadn't meant to hurt me.

It was the curse of both worlds. Here, in the anime world, I possess powers. Small ones, but large enough to do damage if I wanted.

But because I'm not originally from anime, I can't be sensed. Vegeta didn't know I was behind him and therefore only reacted as he would've to any intruder.

The best of both worlds, it's been called. And I guess in a sense that's true. Not being able to be sensed saved my life once. On Namek, when this whole fiasco began. When I first entered the anime world.

Yeah, that's right. I wasn't born into the Dragon Ball Z universe, dimension, world, whatever you want to call it. I'm a child of riaru, no matter how much I would like to deny it. Riaru, the real world. The world I left behind.

I'm called Alicia back there, in riaru. And I travel back sometimes to visit the friends and family I left behind.

I'm always eager to return to anime. My home.

How I first came to anime is a long, drawn-out story. I crashed, literally, in one of the worse possible places and times. Back then, Vegeta was my worse enemy. Back then, my future husband wanted me dead.

But that all changed once he got stuck on Earth after the first battle with Frieza. It changed because . . .

Ok, so I have a secret. Is that too much of a sin nowadays? A secret no one in anime knows about.

At least I think no one knows about it.

I crashed into anime broken and bleeding but I wasn't quite the small, helpless, naive, girl. I already knew the four people who stood over me the first time my large, emerald, anime eyes opened. I recognized them because-- because the Dragon Ball Z world is a cartoon show back in riaru called, well, called Dragon Ball Z.

It's my greatest kept secret. I haven't told anybody for a very good reason . . . I want to keep what I have. I will keep what I have.

I quickly changed into a nightgown, slipping beneath the cool sheets with a sigh. I was almost asleep when the bed dipped slightly and a strong arm pulled me to a lean body. Soft fingertips hesitantly, gently touched the bandage on my wrist.

I snuggled closer and settled, letting the Prince know I didn't fear him.

Next Chapter | Go Back