Chapter Three

 

Early the next morning, Bulma could once again hear Vegeta shouting a cursing when not quite reaching Super Saiya-Jin. She knew the Saiya-Jin prince wasn't going to fix his own breakfast, so, despite being a little worried about being pounded into the ground on account of the previous night, she went downstairs early and made a meal.

She was surprised to see Trunks already downstairs, hunting through the cabinets of the kitchen, trying to find something to eat. He heard someone come in the kitchen.

"Konnichiwa, Kasaan," he said, and turned around. The teen jumped when he saw Bulma, and had a rather awkward look on his face. "Ahh…gomen nasai, Bulma-san, I'm just used to--"

"Geez, Trunks, you can call me Kasaan anytime you want to, and you can call Vegeta Tousan if you want to risk his temper this morning," Bulma told her future son. He began to look a little relieved.

"What's different about his temper this morning than any other morning?" Trunks asked. Bulma sighed and started rooting through the refrigerator.

"Well, there was a little mixup last night that sort of disturbed him, I hope he gets over it fast. Having him storming around the house, brooding in private and spending his days and nights in the gravity room is the last thing I need right now." Bulma pulled out a package of bacon and started laying it on a microwave tray.

"I guess I'll call him Vegeta-san, just for precaution," Trunks replied. "I never knew him in my time, he died when I was really little. Gohan and Kasaan raised me, mostly, and I never really went to school, either. The Jinzouningen mostly destroyed all the schools or made it impossible to get to them."

Bulma felt immense depression settle over the boy, and wanted somehow to make him feel better, take all his pain from the past away, give him back his father and his friends. She snapped back to reality as a familiar voice growled at her from the doorway.

"Is there any food yet, woman?"

Bulma was mildly relieved. She hadn't expected Vegeta to even show his face that day, but she guessed that no matter how furious or solitary, a Saiya-Jin couldn't go long without good food. She smiled to herself.

"I'm just in the middle of making it, hold on a sec." Four pieces of toast popped out of the toaster and Bulma stuck another four in, removing the bacon from the microwave and taking the scrambled eggs off the stove as well. Both Saiya-Jins in the kitchen were eyeing the food, mentally making Bulma go faster.

The meal was finally on plates, and Trunks grabbed his, immediately plopping down at the table and scoffing it down; he obviously hadn't had much to eat in the past day. Vegeta grabbed his, also, and went off somewhere with it, but not after Bulma caught him in the hall, whispered something to him, pecked his cheek, and ran off. Vegeta stood in the hall a minute thinking to himself, then went wherever he was going to eat his meal alone, as usual.

Bulma, however, sat down with Trunks, who couldn't seem to eat enough. Wiping his hands politely on his napkin, he turned to Bulma.

"So, did anyone come up with any good battle plans yesterday? At the party or something? Sorry I didn't come, I was a little tired."

"Well…the party sort of ended prematurely…I don't know if the guys came up with anything last night over at the Son house or not. You'll have to ask them. I could call them if you want," Bulma suggested.

"Sure, arigatou," Trunks replied, eating another two pieces of bacon. Bulma got up and went to get the portable phone. She sat down at the table again, with the phone, and dialed the Son's number.

"Mushi mushi, Son residence," Chichi said.

"Konnichiwa, Chichi! Umm…I wanted to know if the boys came up with any battle plans or anything last night," Bulma told her.

"I don't remember you ever wanting to know about battle tactics," Chichi said in an amused tone.

"Err…well…I'm guessing they didn't tell you about our visitor, did they?" Bulma asked.

"Umm…no, they didn't. What visitor?"

"Ug. I think we better explain a little later. But anyway, he wants to know what the others have planned. Maybe you could get Goku on the line?"

"Sure, they never tell me about any of these things. Hold on…"

A different voice came onto the phone. "Mushi mushi."

"Goku? This is Bulma."

"Oh, konnichiwa, Bulma!"

"Trunks wants to know if you guys came up with anything about battling Freezer last night."

"No, we didn't. We didn't talk that much, we were a little…umm…"

"Shocked? It's OK, I don't really mind that much," Bulma told her friend.

"I sort of figured you wouldn't mind alot, but what about Vegeta?"

"Well, he showed his face this morning. I gave him breakfast. He's been in the gravity room all day, though, but he always does that. To tell the truth, I'm not really that worried about it."

"Yeah. I'm happy for him, but the other guys don't know what to think. Like I said, we didn't really say much after we all went to my house. Say, what was wrong with Vegeta yesterday when Trunks was talking to us?" Goku asked. Bulma got a little frantic trying to think of something to say.

"Err…emm…uhh…well, err…" Trunks interrupted her.

"Kasaan? Let me speak to him. I wanted to tell him anyway," the teen said quietly.

"Hai. Err…Goku? Trunks wants to talk to you."

"Alright."

Trunks picked up the phone. "Konnichiwa, Goku-san."

"Hi, Trunks. You wanted to tell me something?"

"Hai. Before I do, though, you have to promise not to tell anyone else."

"Umm…hai, OK. What is it?"

"The reason I can go Super Saiya-Jin is because in my future, Vegeta-san is my father."

"NAAANNIIIII?!??! Hontou ni?!!" Bulma could hear Goku's voice screaming from the telephone. Trunks held the phone a little farther away from his ear.

"Hontou. Yakusoku," the teen replied calmly.

"Then…then who's your mother?"

"Bulma-san."

"NANDA??!!! Sugoi…! Oh, sumimasen, Chichi, I just got a little excited over something…" Trunks could hear Goku call to his wife, who had yelled 'What was that for.'

Trunks then had something else on his mind. "What was with the party? Nande-koto-wa?"

"Oh, umm…well, Bulma sort of forgot what time it was and everyone walked in the door and she and Vegeta were sort of snuggling on the couch together…Vegeta got a little pale and so did Yamcha…we all left as quickly as we could. Bulma said he didn't seem extremely disturbed this morning, but who knows? Sort of makes sense with you here, though. Hmm, who would have thought?" Goku wondered out loud. Trunks nodded in silent agreement.

The teen spoke again. "Well, anyway, I dunno what we're going to about battle. I guess we should just head over there and see what we can do, if we die then we died protecting Chikyuu, at least. Ja na, see you there."

"Ja na, Trunks." Goku hung up. Trunks did the same.

 

***

 

Kakkarott had done it. His own future son had done it. So why couldn't he?

Vegeta started yet another power up, thoughts racing through his brain like quicksilver, anger and fear and hatred, and somewhere, caring…

The prince reached about half-power. This time, Chikyuu would be destroyed, not an alien planet, every human and Saiya-Jin alike on earth, decimated to dust particles at Freezer's hands…all because they were one Super Saiya-Jin short…

Three fourths power. Why did it have to be him? Always towered over by Kakkarott? And now by a teenager? He had the power, he knew that, but he just couldn't find the key to unlock that final door…

Almost to his limit. But what about the real things that mattered? The end of all the Saiya-Jins in the universe, including the very last one from a different timeline…

Bulma…

She would be dead, too. He would never see her again.

And it would be all Freezer's fault.

That hideous evil space creature who tortured a child prince, broke his spirit and his body until the boy's mind turned in the preferred direction… massacred planets and sold them to others…killed the defenseless only to prove his ruthlessness…

Vegeta had been like that once…but it wasn't really Vegeta. It was Freezer speaking through him, through all those years of twisted childhood and bloodshed, mostly his own blood; beaten by the monster until he was strong enough to take it and cold enough not to care…

It was his turn now.

With a final scream, the gravity room exploded, golden light piercing through the walls, the last bits and scraps of metal falling down around the feet of a Super Saiya-Jin.

 

***

 

"NANI?! NANDA KA?!!" Bulma screeched and rocketed off towards the gravity room with almost inhuman speed. Trunks followed her in close pursuit.

The teen's eyes nearly rolled out of his head when he saw the figure standing amidst the ruins of the gravity chamber. It was Vegeta alright, but now with a distinct golden aura, spiky golden hair, and brilliant turquoise eyes. Sheer power emminated from the prince's being, making the air feel unnervingly thick.

No sooner had Trunks and Bulma arrived on scene than Goku burst in the door, running to the gravity chamber…or where it used to be…and nearly falling over at the sight that greeted him.

"VEGETA?! YOSH'!!!!!! ANOTHER SUPER SAIYA-JIN!!!! YATTA!!!!" A huge, traditional Goku grin spread across the warrior's face.

Vegeta actually smiled back.

"Hai. So now are we going to whoop Freezer's ass?" the prince asked with a little hint of slightly devilish pleasure.

"Hai hai, we'll whoop him good."

 

Chapter Four | Go Back