Chapter 7

We left the crater that had once been Frieza's ship. Gokou decided to postpone our encounter with the overlord for a little while so we could, much to Gohan's delight, find Piccolo.

I don't know why, but I knew where he was. I had known from the moment he appeared on Namek exactly. So I had pointed out the way.

Vegeta rejoined us again, ignoring everyone but staying with us all the same.

Krillin sided up to Gokou who was carrying me. "You save his worthless life, Ally. And still he acts like this to you."

"Yeah," I said thoughtfully. "But people can't change overnight, Krillin."

"No, but they can say thank you."

"Krillin, you know who Vegeta is, what he is. His pride controls him."

"It still burns me up, you know. You could have been killed-"

"I know, Krillin," I said softly. "I know. It's his decision. Let's leave it as that."

He fell silent, falling behind Gokou a little. We flew on.

* * *

"Just a little bit further!" cried Gohan happily.

I smiled. The kid could sense Piccolo's presence. I remembered the bond that had formed between the unlikely pair. Gohan did the tall Namekian a lot of good, managing to crack through the shell of evil that had once engulfed Piccolo's heart.

And now I was finally getting to meet him. He had always been one of my favorite characters, along with Vegeta, and I hoped he'd accept me in the group.

"There he is!" Gohan pointed and took off to the ground.

We landed but Piccolo was no where to be seen. Gohan had also vanished. Then from behind a small plateau of rock came Gohan's laughter.

"Hey Piccolo!" Gokou called.

The Namekian stepped out from behind the rock where he'd apparently been meditating. Gohan road high on his shoulder, laughing merrily. Piccolo's sharp gaze surveyed us and I ducked behind Gokou. As I said before, Piccolo was a big guy. A Namekian, which meant he was very powerful, once tied with Gokou for being the strongest fighter on Earth. Of course that had changed once Piccolo was killed saving Gohan in the battle against Vegeta and Gokou became a Super Saiya-jin.

Piccolo set his gaze on Vegeta who stood at a distance, glaring at the reunion scornfully. "King Kai said you had been forced to join with him," he growled quietly to Gokou.

Vegeta snorted. "Only until I defeat Frieza and then this fragile truce is broken."

Piccolo's eyes narrowed. "I hope Frieza keeps you alive long enough for me to finish you off myself."

"Alright, you two," Gokou interjected. I smiled to myself. Gokou . . . always the peacemaker even when he loved a good fight.

"Piccolo," Gohan cut in. "Meet our new friend, Ally."

Piccolo's sudden focus on me was unnerving and I tried to hide myself behind Gokou.

"Don't be shy," Krillin said, pulling me out. "I thought you knew who Piccolo was?"

"I do," I said in an undertone. "It's just- hi," I said to Piccolo. "I'm Ally." Great, you dork, be an idiot.

"So I've been told. Gohan here informed me that you're the one who brought me here."

"Um. Yeah."

"He didn't say anything else about you."

Vegeta jumped right in on that and I saw too late where this was headed. "I am afraid, green man, that our little friend here has not told us anything at all but yet she knows who we all are. If I were you, I would watch my back."

"Well, you're not me," Piccolo replied bluntly.

"Ally also blew up Frieza's ship!" Gohan said. "And she disintegrated two of the Ginyu Force."

"Please, Gohan," I cut in. "That was horrible."

"It was cool!"

I rolled my eyes. "Give me a break." Then winked to show I was kidding. He beamed. He was so happy now that Piccolo was back among the living.

"Ally's been great," said Krillin. "She even saved Gohan and me from Frieza's clutches."

"It seems she has done much," Piccolo said cooly and set Gohan on the ground. "Gokou, I want to speak with you alone."

Gokou nodded and they walked away from the others.

* * *

"What is it, Piccolo?"

Piccolo wasted no time getting to the point. "Can that girl be trusted?"

"Of course. Vegeta's just being himself."

"What exactly do you know about her?"

"Well," Gokou thought hard. "Her name is Ally."

"That's it?"

"We trust her, Piccolo," Gokou assured him.

The Namekian thought otherwise.

* * *

Night was already swiftly enveloping the small group before Gokou stopped for a rest. Ally had already fallen asleep and he laid her gently on the ground. He didn't know why, but he stayed crouched beside her still form until Krillin came up beside him.

"Gohan found some fruit we can eat."

Gokou straightened, silent, gazing down at Ally.

"Gokou," said Krillin. "We've been friends for a long time. You can tell me the truth. Is she going to be ok?"

Gokou sighed, something he almost never did. "It's hard to tell, Krillin. Those burns Vegeta gave her haven't healed and she may be crippled for life if she doesn't stay off that ankle."

"She's been through so much already," muttered Krillin. "I wish she had stayed with Guru so we wouldn't have to worry about her."

Gokou just nodded.

Gohan walked up behind them. "Food time. Want me to wake Ally?"

"No," said Krillin. "Let her sleep. She's earned it."

They ate the fruit in silence until Gokou said, "We need to find a suitable shelter for the night."

"That's right," agreed Krillin. "I don't want Frieza sneaking up on us in the dark."

"I'll go on ahead and find a good camp site while all of you stay here with Ally in case she wakes up."

"I have a better idea," said Piccolo, uncrossing his legs and standing. "It is nonsense for all of us to stay here so I will alone until the girl awakes."

"Are you sure, Piccolo?" Gokou asked. "Well, ok then. Let's get going." He shot off into the fading daylight, Gohan and Krillin right behind him.

Vegeta hung back, his mouth turned up in a sneer. "Take care of the little spy for me, will ya, green man? It'll save me the trouble of doing the messy job myself." Then he flew off in a flash.

Piccolo sat back on the ground, arms and legs crossed, deep in thought. He weighed the idea he'd had and, making his decision, rose. A few feet away, the girl moaned softly, waking.

* * *

I opened my eyes but everything was still dark. It took me a minute to realize night had almost overcome Namek and once my vision adjusted, I could tell it was indeed. The second thing I noticed was that I was alone.

"Abandoned again," I said outloud to myself.

"That should tell you something."

I jumped; my first thought was Vegeta but no. Piccolo stood behind me. It was he who had spoken.

"They were letting you sleep."

"Oh." I climbed to my feet. "Ok. Well, we can go now."

He didn't move.

"Um, aren't we re- rejoining the others?"

"I am," he said coldly. "But you aren't."

I waited for him to smile and say he was kidding. Piccolo wasn't one to make jokes but he couldn't be serious. I shifted uneasily from my good foot to the other and back again when the movement brought pain. My mouth went suddenly dry when Piccolo began to raise slowly into the air.

My voice found me. "P- Piccolo, you can't be serious."

He turned away, floating higher.

"You can't just- I can barely walk, Piccolo! Why are you doing this? Vegeta's wrong about me, you know!" The last I hurled at the vapor trail left behind as he sped away. Something clunked beside me and I looked down through blurry eyes. I picked up the circlet, a medallion carved into weird designs. Piccolo must have dropped it. I tucked it into my pocket, and again stared in the direction Piccolo had left.

"He's wrong," I whispered hopelessly, crumpling to my knees. "I'm not a spy. I'm just a girl . . . only a trapped girl . . . "

* * *

By the time Piccolo was spotted flying toward them, the group had discovered a small cave and started a fire. Vegeta complained that the fire would bring Frieza right to them when they were expecting it but the others felt they'd rather face Frieza than freeze to death in the cold. So the Saiya-jin had separated himself from them, leaning against a rock face and staring into the darkness.

They watched Piccolo land noiselessly.

"Hey, where's Ally?" asked Krillin.

The Namekian joined them by the fire. "Your friend decided not to aide us in our conquest against Frieza."

Krillin frowned. "But Ally wouldn't bail out at the last minute."

Laughter came from outside the firelight. "Baldy is in denial. Face it, Krome Dome, the girl's gone."

Krillin ignored him. "I guess Ally is safer if she stays away from us. But after the battle, we'll go find her."

"If you're still alive," sneered Vegeta.

Krillin glared at the Saiya-jin but let it go. To get to the cave, Piccolo had to pass by Vegeta. Vegeta's dark eyes followed him until he had almost passed by.

"So you did away with the little spy."

Piccolo stopped, turned his piercing gaze on the Prince. "Did I say something to you?"

"Didn't have to. The look of accomplishment is plain on your ugly green face." He paused. "So did you terminate her?"

"What?"

Vegeta laughed again. "Of course you didn't. Your Earth friends have made you as soft as they are."

"She won't survive long alone. But no, I didn't kill her. Her blood will not be on my hands." He walked away, ending their conversation.

In a low voice so the Namekian wouldn't overhear, Vegeta muttered, "Yes, it will be."

Chapter 8 | Go Back