Chapter 21

We road in silence except when Manny had to direct me to school. I admit I had forgotten how to get around, even to school. Memories kept floating in and out of my head, jumbling together in one big confusing mass. The truth was, I didn't want to remember them.

And now as I drove us to Mars Hill, I found I couldn't come up with anything to say the boy sitting in the car next to me. I glanced over at Manny, who was staring straight ahead. He suddenly yelped and I slammed on my brakes, almost hitting the figure who stood in the middle of the road. Shaking, I stumbled out of the car.

"I'm- I'm s-sorry!" I stuttered. "Are- are you- oh!"

I rubbed my eyes, blinked, and stared again. The other figure did the same.

"Ally?"

"Dad!" I cried, throwing my arms around him. "I'm so glad I finally found someone! What happened? Where is everyone else?"

"Not sure," Gokou answered. "We split up after we realized you weren't with us. I've been wandering around forever."

"You're . . . you're real . . . "

He held his hands up in front of him. "It's strange . . . I look like myself and yet I don't."

"I know," I said, happy he was here. "Now you can see what I felt like when I first came to anime. Oh, Dad! I was worried none of you made it!"

Manny stuck his head out the window. "What's going on?"

I groaned inwardly. "Everything's fine," I told him and turned back to Gokou. "Listen, Dad-"

"Who is that?"

Cars began to honk behind us. I pulled Gokou to the car, shoved him in the back, and soon we were rolling again.

Gokou leaned on the back of our seats.

"Where are we going, Ally?"

"To my old school. I have to go there."

"And Frieza?"

"No sign. There wasn't anything on the news that suggested he was rampaging through the country."

Gokou frowned. "I can sense he's near."

"Are you- are you sure?"

"Yes. Can't you feel it?"

I shook my head, biting my lip, and griping the steering wheel until my knuckles turned white.

"Would someone explain to me what's GOING ON?" Manny asked loudly.

I saw no other choice. "You know those ten days I was gone?"

"Yeah."

"I was in the Dragon Ball Z world."

"Uh-huh, sure. For ten days you were in a cartoon."

"No. For ten years. The time between the two worlds is different. A day here is a year there, an hour is a week, and so on. I grew up, had- had a family."

"Sure. And this man is Gokou."

"Actually, he is."

Manny stared at us. "No way."

I sighed. "Dad, could you show him that I'm telling the truth?"

He nodded, still looking at Manny funny, and easily powered up until his hair was golden yellow.

Manny's jaw dropped nearly to the floor. "You- you- you went Super Saiya-jin!"

Gokou looked quizzically at me, letting his ki drop and his hair turn back to black.

I grinned. "My brother knows almost as much about Dragon Ball Z as I do."

"Brother?"

"Yes, Dad. This is Manny, my riaru brother."

"Oh." He held out his hand and Manny shook it, eyes shining.

"Wow . . . Gokou . . . "

Gokou blushed and we both laughed.

"Hey, look," the Saiya-jin cried, peering out the window. "Isn't that . . . "

I followed his gaze to the two figures walking on the side of the road. Two short figures, one whose bald head glistened in the sun. I jerked the wheel, sending the car careening to a stop in front of them.

I stuck my head out the window, calling," Krillin! Gohan! You boys want a ride?"

"Ally!" they laughed, and ran to me.

"I see Dad already found you," said Gohan.

Gokou flashed a lop-sided grin. "More like she found me."

"Well, don't just stand there," I huffed, smiling. "Get in. Get in. We can talk on the way."

They obeyed and the five of us drove on. I introduced the newcomers to Manny who just gaped in shock.

"Ally," said Gohan, frowning. "There's just one thing I need explained right now . . . WHY AM I BACK IN MY EIGHT YEAR OLD BODY?"

I laughed at his perplexed expression. "I guess it's because only ten days passed here. When we made the transition from anime to riaru, that fact changed you into the age you would be if you lived here. Make sense?"

"A little."

I grew serious. "Alright, guys. Here's what we're doing: I have to go to school or else my riaru parents will get in the way."

"Good!" interrupted Gohan. "That's where Piccolo was headed."

"And Vegeta?" I asked, trying not to sound too concerned.

Gokou's face fell. "No sign of him."

Krillin laid a hand on my shoulder. "I'm sure he came through the Gateway all right."

"Yeah," I agreed, managing a weak smile. "Ok, so, I have to stay at school. I'd much rather go find Frieza and finish him off, but we must take this one step at a time. You three can stay with me in school, if you want. This world is afraid of strangeness and they usually try to kill their fears." I paused. "It would be safer."

Gokou nodded. "We need to stay together. We already know how strong Frieza is and this time you won't be able to help us, Ally."

My knuckles turned white again as I clenched my fists on the steering wheel. If only that purple warlord had stayed in his own world. Curse him!

"Ally? You ok?"

"I'm fine, Krillin. Just fine."

We pulled into the parking lot; I turned off the engine.

"Manny, go on in."

"But I want to stay with you guys and fight Frieza!"

"Are you crazy?" I demanded and he cringed away from the anger in my voice. "This isn't some game, Manny. You've never seen Frieza in real life. We put all we had into our attack and still he survived. Now I want you to get inside and not say a word to anyone about this. Got it?"

"Y- yeah." He bolted out of the car.

"You didn't have to be so rough on the kid," said Gokou.

"I don't want him to get hurt. I'm the puny female, remember? Frieza would use anything- anyone- to get at me." I sighed. "Let's go." I opened my car door and it bumped up against someone. I looked up.

"Piccolo!" cried Gohan and jumped out of the car.

It was the Namekian. Now all of us except Vegeta were back together. Piccolo stated that he had not found the Saiya-jin on his journey here to the school, much to my dismay. Vegeta had to be ok. And somehow I knew he was. The others followed me inside Mars Hill, and I registered them as family members from way out of town. There were a few questions asked that I had to bend the truth a little to keep from sounding totally insane and of course there were many odd glances that questioned where I had been the ten days. The police followed me around the school at a distance but I ignored them. I would be leaving soon and this time there would be no looking back.

* * *

The door swung open; footsteps scuffed to the desk. David looked up from the work he was doing in his last period office aid and met the stern gaze of the man standing in front of him. There was a scowl on his face, dark eyes flickered contempt. The man apparently didn't allow his short stature to bother him; the muscles and spiky hair made up the difference.

"Can- can I help you?" David was startled to find this weird man intimidated him.

"Where can I find Ally?"

"Uh, hold on and I'll see." He hurriedly searched through the school files. "Sir? No one by that name goes here."

He cried out as the man grabbed a fistful of his shirt.

"I was told," he growled. "That I could find her here."

"There's no one named Ally!"

The man released his shirt, crossing his arms. The left side of his mouth curled up in a sneer. "I'm not leaving until I find her."

* * *

Thirty minutes until school was over. I couldn't take this waiting anymore!

I raised my hand and excused myself to go to the bathroom, not before throwing the others an urgent glance. The policemen, who stood in the back of the room, didn't follow me, thinking I was only going to the bathroom after all. I waited for the others outside the classroom. A few minutes later, they joined me.

"Let's go find Frieza," was all I had to say.

The only way out was past the office. We walked quickly and carefully, were almost to the door.

"Wait," I hissed. "Isn't that . . . Vegeta?"

Sure enough, the proud Saiya-jin was seated in the office entryway, arms folded, and eyes closed in deep concentration.

"We'll meet you outside," I told the others and quickly thought up a plan.

* * *

I walked into the office as casually as I could. David smiled as I entered.

"Alicia! I heard you were back."

"News travels fast."

At the sound of my voice, Vegeta stirred, eyes springing open. I did my best not to let on that I knew him and hoped he would catch on.

David inclined his head toward Vegeta. "That guy's been in here forever," he said in a low voice. "He keeps asking for someone named Ally."

"Strange," I agreed.

David gave me a weird look, like he was trying to figure out something. I inwardly winced. Ally was what David always used to call me. Did he suspect?

"Well," I said. "I'm gone."

"Aww. Stay awhile and talk?"

"Can't. I've got some stuff to do."

"Alright. See you later then."

I turned away and glanced directly at Vegeta. On my way out, I dropped my plan into his lap where David wouldn't see.

Vegeta stared at me as I left, then unfolded the paper. "Outside, sweet Prince. Party's about to begin."

That's my mate, he thought, scowling. No respect. Ah, well. I do love parties. Especially those I might not survive.

* * *

I immediately embraced Vegeta when he came outside and he immediately pulled my arms away, a gentle frown on his face.

"Glad you made it."

The tender look in his eyes said the same but I knew he wouldn't say anything while the others were crowded around. Especially in front of Gokou. And that was fine. After living with the Prince for nearly seven years, I'd learned to half understand his moods.

"Come on," I said to everyone. "Let's go."

Vegeta put his arms around me, me thinking nothing of it. And we were about to take off into the sky when I heard someone shout-

"Ally!"

We froze, caught almost in the act of flying. David was waving and running toward us.

"I knew you were up to something," he said, stopping a few yards away. "Who are these people?"

I felt Vegeta tense and fidget, not moving away from me.

"It doesn't matter, David," I told him. "And it doesn't concern you."

"Like hell it does," he retorted. "You disappeared for ten days, Alicia! Why can't you tell me? I thought we were friends."

"We are," I said, pain spearing my chest. "But people change. I changed. I won't stand by while others suffer by someone else's hand any longer."

"Then I'm coming with you."

I shook my head furiously. "This guy, this enemy won't stop until he has his vengeance. You'll be killed."

"Alicia, so will you."

"He's right, you know," Gokou commented quietly. "You said yourself that you have no powers here."

I was about to argue further when Vegeta made me face him. "I want you to stay here."

"No, I want to go with you."

"Remember our children," he said softly. "They need a mother."

"And a father. And I need my husband."

"I will be fine. Stay with this boy."

I shook my head again, too overcome with tears to speak and too stubborn to give in even though I knew he was right. But when Vegeta stepped back, I didn't follow him, only stared at the ground, angry at him, myself, and Frieza.

When I looked up, they were gone and I was alone with David.

"Please, Kami," I whispered, clutching the trinkets to my chest. "Keep them safe."

Chapter 22 | Go Back