Chapter 12

I was swimming in a dense fog. Alone. My senses were muddled and I couldn't see my own body. Had the Eternal Dragon sent me back? A chill pierced my spine. What if I had been turned into my anime body but then had died?

"Ally! Ally!"

The cry was far away but familiar. I tried to move to the voice.

"Please wake up, Ally!"

Gokou. It was Gokou!

Suddenly I was able to open my eyes, leaving the fog behind. But the sunshine was too bright and everything was a blur. In a rush, my whole body was assaulted with pain, that horrible, aching pain I knew all too well.

I forced my mouth to work. "Please . . . help me."

Someone shoved Gokou aside and kneeled beside me.

"Ally- Ally-"

"Vegeta?" I wasn't sure. Everything was too murky. I sought out the hand of whoever it was, holding it in my weak grip. "Squeeze back, if it's you."

The hand tensed when I touched it, then clenched slightly. Even as light as Vegeta did it, I bit my lip to keep from crying out. I had to be strong.

"Don't leave me . . . " I whispered. I knew this was it. Even though I couldn't see very well, I knew there was no way I could survive these injuries.

Vegeta's hand was still around mine, he hadn't moved away.

"I'm so sorry," I choked, needing to say something to break the awful silence. "I- I just had to come back."

"Don't speak," he ordered gruffly.

"I'm scared, Vegeta. I . . . I don't know if I can . . . " I felt so weak. My eyes began to drift close.

"Ally!"

I jerked my head toward the new voice.

"Piccolo?"

"Listen to me. You haven't got much time left. There is something I can do but it is very dangerous. For you and for me."

I tried to sit up, but Vegeta held me down. "Don't- ah- Piccolo! I'm not worth it!"

"Well, there are four, five of us you think you are."

Stubborn Namekian. "What is it?" I almost didn't want to know.

"It is a life-transfer technique where I transfer some of my lifeforce into your body. It might not even work; I have never tried it before much less on a human girl."

"How . . . is it done?"

He was silent for a while. "It is a very . . . intrinsic process. You have to trust me completely."

I gulped. "I trust you, Piccolo."

"Then let's get started. Everyone else must leave," he ordered the others. "You too, Vegeta."

"Don't you hurt her," I heard the Saiya-jin growl. He gave my hand another squeeze, more gentle than before, then left.

My vision clearer, I watched him go.

"He cares for you," Piccolo stated. "If Vegeta can feel such an emotion."

"I don't know." I grimaced as another spasm of pain ripped into me. "I can't last . . . much longer, Piccolo!"

* * *

Vegeta stood gazing at the horizon, arms crossed. What the hell was wrong with him? He had seen countless battles where people had been bloodied, crushed, torn apart by their opponents and sometimes by himself. But none of those gruesome scenes had ever affected him as it did when he saw the Earthling girl laying there so helpless. He ground his teeth. He was growing as weak as them.

Kakarrot, or as the Earthlings called him, Gokou, came up beside him.

"Ally will be alright. She's strong, Vegeta."

The Saiya-jin Prince was silent.

"You know, Vegeta. We all care for her greatly, but, well . . . maybe you do more than any of us." He shrugged.

"Just a thought I had." He walked off to Krillin and Gohan.

Unseen by anyone else, a tiny tear escaped Vegeta's coal-black eye, spilling down his cheek. He wiped it, staring down at his moist glove in stunned silence.

* * *

"Hurts so much, Piccolo," I gasped between breaths.

"I know, kid. Just hold on." He was sitting beside me, forehead creased in deep concentration. His eyes sprung open. "I am ready." He stood. "Still want to go through with this?"

I could only nod my head.

He rose into the air, floating above me and facing down. "I'm going to come down on top of you," he said gently. "I won't ever touch you physically but you'll probably feel a slight sting as the lifeforce starts to penetrate and then a little more once it is inside your heart. Now try to relax. Ready?"

I bit my lip, nodding again.

The Namekian began to lower slowly. "Keep eye contact with me. It will help the transfer go more easily."

My eyes immediately met his and I was surprised at how benign his gaze was. Piccolo was going to transfer some of his lifeforce into me? I was shaking, overcome in fear.

"Try to relax," he repeated.

Relax? Relax? I was so scared. Not of Piccolo, but of what he was about to do.

He was now only a yard above me. A strange white light came from the Namek, reaching out toward me. Hands? I saw hands in that light. I forced my eyes back to Piccolo. He was struggling to go slower, I could tell. I felt the sting he had warned me about and sucked in my breath. My eyes brimmed with tears as it deepened.

I wanted to tell him to stop. Just let me die. I had seen them again, like I wanted. I whimpered pathetically. Stop it! I screamed at myself. Stop being so weak. Think of what Piccolo is doing for you!

"There is something I can do but it is very dangerous. For you and for me."

Be strong! Show them you're strong!

But I couldn't stop the cry that the pain tore from my throat. Piccolo's face was also clenched in pain. The white glow seemed to intensify, immersing the both of us. It suddenly flowed into my mouth like a living thing, burning hot inside me. The cry turned into a scream and I heard another voice along with mine and knew it was Piccolo. He was mere inches above me and still getting closer, almost touching and I realized in a fright that he was entering my body like a shadow. The glow covered all my sight and I couldn't see or feel Piccolo's presence anymore.

Then suddenly it left. The glow, the roaring in my ears, the stinging, everything, was gone. I heard someone breathing in rough gasps beside me and saw Piccolo, drenched in sweat.

"Is . . . is it . . . over? Piccolo?"

"Yeah."

I tentatively moved my arms, pushing myself over to my side. Instantly I was overcome with dizziness. In one heave, I pulled myself over to the exhausted Namekian, collapsing halfway on top of him before fainting.

* * *

Their friends' screams had shaken the others, but they stayed back, the power being generated too great. As soon as it ended though, they ran to them. They found them unconscious, but alive, and relief hung heavily in the air.

"Should we move them?" Krillin asked uncertainly, checking Ally's pulse.

"No," said Gokou. "Let them rest."

"How is she?" Vegeta walked over to Krillin.

"She's fine. I tell you, it's a miracle."

He turned away from them, eyes closed. "Yeah. A miracle."

* * *

For the first time in my anime body, I awoke to no pain. I tested out my arms and still not even an ache. I was immensely weak though, as if all the energy had been sucked out of me. I was dressed in a thin nightgown and was laying in a strange bed in a tiny room only big enough to hold the bed and a chair that someone sat in, watching me.

"Piccolo!"

He smiled. "I'm glad you are finally awake."

"How long have I been asleep?"

"A few days."

"Days?" I choked, and tried to sit up. The same dizziness rose and I cautiously lay back down.

"It will wear off soon," Piccolo told me.

"Am I . . . ok?"

"Yes. You body is completely healed."

"And you?"

He smiled again. "I am fine."

I stared down at the quilt covering the bed, remembering the experience. "I didn't know you could do that. I guess I don't know everything about you guys after all."

"You will. I'm going to go downstairs and tell everyone you are awake." He stood and I grasped his hand.

"Piccolo . . . thank you. I owe you the world."

"Just say we're even now. And welcome back." He left the room, closing the door behind him.

I settled back into the bed, sighing. I'd made it through to this world again. Would I regret my decision? I didn't think I would.

There was a soft knock at the door.

"Come in." I tucked the covered snugly around myself.

It opened and Vegeta stood awkwardly in the doorway. We stared at each other for the longest before he came over and saw in the chair.

"The Namekian said you were awake."

"Yeah. I forgot to ask him where this is."

"Kakarrot's house."

"Oh." I lowered my eyes, fingering the trinkets still around my neck. I meet his unwavering gaze. "I- I never forgot, you know, when I left. And I never got to say thank you."

"You're welcome," he grumbled.

Silence filled the room again. Say something, my brain ordered.

"Vegeta, I- uh-"

"Look," he interrupted. "They want to know if you'd like to come down now."

"Oh, ok . . . but, I don't think I can walk right now." That was the truth. I could barely sit up.

Vegeta snorted. "That problem is easily solved."

He bent over, tucked his hands under me and lifted me effortlessly out of the bed. I wrapped my arms around his neck, sensing my cheeks blush as they had before. I could feel the heat of his body through my thin nightgown.

"Is this going to be a pattern for our relationship?" he scoffed.

"Re-relationship?" I stuttered, looking up into his eyes. They laughed at me but couldn't hide the shadows I saw there. I was about to comment on his sleep-deprived state when he carried me out the door. I gasped. Everyone was gathered below. And not just those who I had met before, but Bulma, Tien, Chaozu, Yamucha, Chi-chi, Puar, Oolong, and Master Roshi as well.

Tears were running down my face as Vegeta sat me in a chair amid them.

"What the matter?" Krillin asked, worried.

"I'm- I'm- I'm just so happy!" I looked around the room in fascination. "You're all here!"

"Of course we are," said Master Roshi, bending down to take my hand. "We had to meet the lovely lady we've been hearing so much about."

Bulma punched him roughly in the arm. "Leave her alone. Can't you see she's blushing enough as it is?"

I laughed. "I can't believe I'm finally here, meeting all of you."

Gokou raised his hands for everyone to be quiet. "Hey! Chi-chi and I have a little present for you, Ally." He handed me a stack of papers.

I looked down at them, confused.

"We thought it was appropriate, dear," said Chi-chi. "We hoped you would decide to stay with us."

"If you'll have me," I cut in. "I have no where else to go."

"That's what Gokou thought too. So we had these drawn up while you were still sleeping."

"I still don't understand."

"They're adoption papers, Ally," said Gokou eagerly.

I was stunned. "You want to be my parents?"

"If you'll have us."

"I- I don't know what to say. Yes! Yes!" I cried, giving them big hugs. "Gohan! We're going to be family!"

"Yippee!" he shouted, flinging his little arms around me.

We had a great party after dinner, dancing and hollering. My entire strength still had not returned to me fully but I didn't let that stop me from dancing with every guy there. Vegeta had disappeared again but I didn't let that smoulder my happiness. I'd see him again. I knew it. I laughed as Krillin spun me into yet another dance. Everyone was so happy. This was what I had wanted more than anything.

I paused to rest on the edge of the room, giggling as I watched Gokou try to dance with his wife. Someone grabbed me hand and pulled me out the front door and into the chilly night air. I spun to face Vegeta.

"We're kinda having a party, Vegeta."

"I never forgot you either."

"What?"

"I said I never forgot you."

I stared up into his dark eyes but saw none of the usual sarcasm. He moved away from me, leaning against the porch railing, crossing his arms.

"It seems you'll be staying . . . " He looked questionably at me.

"Yes," I said slowly, trying to figure him out. "Gokou and Chi-chi will take care of me. Shenlong told me I would never be able to go back anyway."

"So you spoke to the Eternal Dragon."

"He was the one who brought me here." I frowned. "Vegeta? Are you staying here, on Earth?"

"I have no reason to."

I lowered my eyes. "I'd like to think you did."

He uncrossed his arms, stepping off the porch. "Maybe I will stick around a while." He took off into the darkness.

I sighed, cradling the tear-shaped bottle. "I hope so, Vegeta." and smiled.

Chapter 13 | Go Back